Charlotte Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Stone Dive Resort in Thomasville is about an hour from Charlotte. It is a full service scuba facility with a lot to see in the rather large quarry.

bluestonediveresort.com

Just when will you be in Charlotte. I live 4 miles from Blue Stone and my wife and I would be happy to join you if the time is right. We'll be out of town the week of the 4th but after that will be great.

Well, I'm a member of PDRA and would be glad to meet him there, too. But we just dove the American quarry this past Sunday and it is very murky with about 3 ft of vis. And last I heard, the Lake Norman quarry is flooded from all the rain. They've had to set up temporary set up areas as all the regular ones are under water.

Lake Norman quarry is flooded but there is still plenty of room for divers to set up. Vis, well it’s not great, but it’s quarry diving. We dive there at least once a week and your welcome to join us!

Well, I'm a member of PDRA and would be glad to meet him there, too. But we just dove the American quarry this past Sunday and it is very murky with about 3 ft of vis. And last I heard, the Lake Norman quarry is flooded from all the rain. They've had to set up temporary set up areas as all the regular ones are under water.

We might just take you up on that, Ghost Diver. I'll get back with you when we get a chance to get up that way.

We may have already bumped into each other a time or 2 as we get up there 2 or 3 times each summer.

I live in Mooresville, NC. My son & I did our training at the Lake Norman PDRA Quarry and we just went there this past Sunday. Haven't been to Fantasy Lake or Blue Stone (planning to try Blue Stone this Sunday). What's nice about the quarry here is that it's not "public"... you have to be a member so it's limited to that plus any training classes going on. You have to have a key to get through the gate.

It never feels busy... but you're never alone, either. It's fresh water so visibility isn't going to be great. It was probably about 10 feet vis to about 20 feet down and then it got more clear on Sunday. A solid thermal layer at 20-25 feet. We only went to 46 feet and it hit 59 degrees down there (compared to 81 on the surface).

There are platforms and a bunch of sunken stuff to see - cars, boats, etc. They have some corrugated tubes to swim through. You can find the map online and they have it posted on-site. I attached it to the post.

Attachments

• lake-norman-quarry-map.pdf
    136.9 KB · Views: 152
I’ll be in town Monday 7/8 through Thursday 7/11. I have all my own gear would just need tanks.

Bluestone is weekend only, correct?

Thanks for all the replies!

Back
Top Bottom