Charging extra for VIP??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuberd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I was recently talking with some of the other shops on Oahu and I found out that one of the big guys is charging extra for a VIP and hydro.

A visual inspection is required at time of hydrostatic test by the Code of Federal Regulations. You can not comply with the law and not do a visual inspection. It seems to me that charging extra for something that is required by law is not fair.

What are your thoughts? Do other shops charge extra for a VIP and hydro? I only found the one

Typically when you have a dive shop hydro test a cylinder, they include a VIP and air fill in the price.

If you take your cylinders to a hydro place yourself, you usually have to pay for a VIP when you get the first air fill despite the fact that the VIP serves no useful purpose. A few hydro places will put a VIP sticker on tanks they hydro test if asked, which is one way around it.

If you take your cylinders to a hydro place yourself, you usually have to pay for a VIP when you get the first air fill despite the fact that the VIP serves no useful purpose.

Strongly disagree, and you would too, if you got a customer's tank back from a hydro facility that did a hydro and put the valve back on with water in the tank. Not a lot, mind you, but certainly enough to be an issue.

The dive shop VIP on your first fill is simply insurance against stupid.

Strongly disagree, and you would too, if you got a customer's tank back from a hydro facility that did a hydro and put the valve back on with water in the tank. Not a lot, mind you, but certainly enough to be an issue.

I've seen a lot more "stupid moments" from dive shops than Federally-licensed hydrostatic testing facilities.

How much do you charge for that post hydro VIP?

A hydro and a VIP are not the same procedure. If you have a good hydro facility they would check out the tank prior to the hydro and that might amount to a VIP-light. A full VIP is more exhaustive. PSI-PCI has an 18 step review and that puts some assurance your tank is OK once done right. You can also get a shop that yanks the valve, looks inside, and puts a sticker on it. Certification and training are unfortunately pretty lax.

Whether you charge a la carte, or combine the costs into a single ticket may make it appear different. Where we are hydro+VIP+fill is a standard procedure.

VIP's are much for the customer safety, they are for the shop safety. Tanks don't blow up on your back. They blow up with the shop is filling them, generally due to tank 'abuse/neglect' most often at the hands of the customer.

A hydro and a VIP are not the same procedure. If you have a good hydro facility they would check out the tank prior to the hydro and that might amount to a VIP-light.

You do realize that a VIP is a legal requirement, mandated by DOT in the United States, as part of the hydrostatic testing procedure, right?

A hydro and a VIP are not the same procedure. If you have a good hydro facility they would check out the tank prior to the hydro and that might amount to a VIP-light. A full VIP is more exhaustive. PSI-PCI has an 18 step review and that puts some assurance your tank is OK once done right. You can also get a shop that yanks the valve, looks inside, and puts a sticker on it. Certification and training are unfortunately pretty lax.

Whether you charge a la carte, or combine the costs into a single ticket may make it appear different. Where we are hydro+VIP+fill is a standard procedure.

VIP's are much for the customer safety, they are for the shop safety. Tanks don't blow up on your back. They blow up with the shop is filling them, generally due to tank 'abuse/neglect' most often at the hands of the customer.

VIP - lite!!! What VIP steps does the hypro facility not perform other than a final look before the valve goes back on?

... It seems to me that charging extra for something that is required by law is not fair.

How does a regulatory requirement make the charge unfair? Why should a service be free just because its required by law?

You do realize that a VIP is a legal requirement, mandated by DOT in the United States, as part of the hydrostatic testing procedure, right?

VIP at the time of hydro is required, right? I thought the annual VIP and sticker was just a SCUBA industry thing. If not, why don't you see VIP stickers on Co2 tanks and other gas cylinders?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom