Charging and Weighting a Seadoo VS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnDough

Reaction score
I just bought a couple Seadoo VS Scooters. I was wondering how much weight I will need to add for both Fresh and saltwater.

Is anyone aware of a Solar charger or Cig lighter charger? ( other than a normal ac inverter)

Also is there anything I should be aware of with these? ( like easier way to replace battery or watch for leaks or anything like that?)

You can assemble a solar charger, but it would take a very serious solar panel to power it! You're looking at something that would be larger and more expensive than the scooters. If you try to run the existing charger with a solar panel that's not supplying enough power, you will damage the panel's inverter/voltage regulator or even the charger itself.

I have solar charging on my RV, and a moderately small panel that's just enough to keep the batteries full while it's parked is over 4 square feet and cost $700 for the panel and voltage regulator.

If you want portable charging ability without getting into any custom equipment, the best thing would be to get a deep cycle battery (boat supply store) and inverter. This will run the scooter's existing charger. This will retain the speed, performance, and safety of the charger that came with the scooter.

Project Cost:
A good deep cycle battery (Interstate HD-24DP HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) - $90-$110
A cheapo (Coleman, ETC.) 300w inverter - $30-$40
A decent automatic 10-20 watt recharger for deep cycle battery - $50-$60

Now just charge up the deep cycle and take it with you wherever you need AC power. You can run more than just the scooter charger off of the inverter. You might end up getting a larger inverter if you want to run more or larger appliances, but 300watt will let you run/charge your laptop, phone, portable stereo, etc.

OPTION 2:
If you want to assemble a smaller, cheaper solar charger for the scooters, you will first need to select your solar panel. Get the best one you can,and keep in mind that sone of the "high output" models are crap in moringin/evening/shade, while some of the moderate ones are better in non-perfect conditions.

Next, you will need a voltage regulator to supply the scooter's charging voltage. Solar panels will not put out the right voltage. It will not even be constant.

You can check the output voltage the existing charger to find out what the charging voltage should be. This is NOT the same as the rated voltage of the battery. (For instance, 12v car batteries are charged at 15.5 volts.) Now, get your hands on an adjustable voltage regulator, or have a dedicated one assembled by a local electronics shop. Make sure it can handle the maximum wattage output of your panel, but don't waste money on a ridiculously oversized unit. The regulator will transform the panel's output to the proper charging voltage, but will probably at a far lower wattage (less power, fewer charging amps, longer charge time) than the old plug-in charger.

Finally, you'll also need to make sure that there's a shutoff device to interrupt or attenuate the charging circuit before overcharging occurs. If you like to live dangerously, you chould just check the charge level periodically.

Thanks for suggestions, I have extremely limited weight limits and not much space either which is why I was just hoping a small solar charger existed that would do the job. I realize that some solar chargers can be large ( My mother uses one slightly smaller than yours to run a chest freezer 24hrs a day and intermittent use table saw, band saw, and drill press... Dont ask :) ...) I will probably just use an inverter off of the car, there will be other people around in case I screw up and kill my car battery.

So has anyone used one of these scooters and how much weight did you need??

I fill my ballast container with water,I have gradually adjusted to about 3/4 full and it seems pretty neutral in saltwater. hopefull I will get to use it this weekend. I can most times get two good dives off of one battery,but I have a spare to solve charging issues. by the way I love the scooter,just take your time assembling it and check the o rings for contaminants and lube them every time or it can flood

JohnDough:
So has anyone used one of these scooters and how much weight did you need??

I own my own ("Junior"), and use it in saltwater (49F - 55F). I place a 0.5 lb seastone in the ballast chamber inside a toque so it won't rattle. It's perfectly neutral. Add a stiff retractor to the handle, and you never have to worry about it. If the retractor is stiff enough, you can operate the scooter one handed.

Have you used it yet ? How long does it take to recharge the battery ?

mcm007:
Have you used it yet ? How long does it take to recharge the battery ?

I use them 1-2 times a week. it usually takes 2-4 hours to charge depending on use. I havent killed a battery yet, I have used it for up to 1:15 with a few small breaks - not constantly. I bought 4 extra batteries just in case, both OEM about $55 and Ebay generic $11 but the generic do not come with connectors which have to be purchased seperately and soldered on.
I know people on this site say that they are toys and a waste of money, but they work good for me. My total body weight, tank and lead weigh in at around 335lbs ( of course I'm neuturally buoyant so I guess that doesnt matter much) Are they noisy? yes, especially if you hold them in front of yourself. if you hold them under you ( as stated in the instructions) they are much quieter.

Thanks for the input John. I really appreciate real world experience. I too am 6 ', 200 + lbs.. So if it works for you , it will work for me. Unfot , I tore my achilles in March so I am on the mend. I am going on the Nekton Rorqual trip and will be doing repetitive dives and I think this would help me out.

Regards,
Mike

JohnDough:
I use them 1-2 times a week. it usually takes 2-4 hours to charge depending on use. I havent killed a battery yet, I have used it for up to 1:15 with a few small breaks - not constantly. I bought 4 extra batteries just in case, both OEM about $55 and Ebay generic $11 but the generic do not come with connectors which have to be purchased seperately and soldered on.
I know people on this site say that they are toys and a waste of money, but they work good for me. My total body weight, tank and lead weigh in at around 335lbs ( of course I'm neuturally buoyant so I guess that doesnt matter much) Are they noisy? yes, especially if you hold them in front of yourself. if you hold them under you ( as stated in the instructions) they are much quieter.

Back
Top Bottom