Changing the LPI hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Musicgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Y'all,

I feel like I know the answers, but as experienced (or not) I am as a diver, I've never had to do much with equipment so far. Someone's usually done it for me or with me. So, seeking confirmation/advice. :) Anyway, I bought a new BC. (Now I have 2). I want to dive with the new BC tomorrow. My reg was purchased with my first BC, so the shop made sure it fit with the first BC. The new BC came with an inflator hose. It's longer than the one I have on my reg right now.

So, 2 questions...
1. Do I need to change the hose? I tried lining up the new BC (I wont have a tank to try it on till my on a boat tomorrow) And it seems that it should be fine (as far a length, despite being shorter) to keep the current hose. Or is the hose BC specific?

2. Despite whether you think yes or no to the above question...Now, or in the future, if I need to change the hose, is it as simple as loosening the first hose from the first stage, taking it off, screwing in and tightening the new one with a wrench? I have an Apex regulator.

Thanks. :)

Hi Y'all,

2. Despite whether you think yes or no to the above question...Now, or in the future, if I need to change the hose, is it as simple as loosening the first hose from the first stage, taking it off, screwing in and tightening the new one with a wrench? I have an Apex regulator.

Thanks. :)

Yes, if you don't over tighten it, under tighten it, or cross thread it.

1) if it is a standard inflator the connections are the same so its just a matter of length. Check the length of the corragated hose on each. If they are the same, your original hose should be fine.

2) Yes, just don't overtighten, just a snug connection. First twist finger tight then one light twist with a wrench to firm up. I don't typically use lube but some do.

Shorter is better as long as it is long enough.

Easy to change. Finger tight and another eigth to quarter turn will do it.

Thanks for the replies. As for length, the corragated hose are of similar length. However, the first BC is a tech-backplate BC and the LPI connects to the BC bladder quite far over the shoulder compared to the new jacket-style. So when wearing it, the corragated hose does sit higher on my body with the first/tech BC than with the new/jacket BC. So i think the longer hose is needed to compensate for the distance between the tank and where the corregated hose begins as it's going to be further away. Does that make sense?

Just use the one that works best. For me, that's the one that has the least "extra" hose.

make sure you double check that the inflator connection on your new bc is exactly the same as your old bc. most are exactly the same. some are almost exactly the same, just a little longer, sometimes too long for the hose to latch properly. the fitting is the same diameter, so the hose slides on, but then it slides off since it can not latch.

i witnessed this issue on a dive trip once. i do not remember e bc or regulator brands involved.

as already indicated, hoses are very easy to swap. take both hoses and a wrench with you on your first dive. swap as required.

You read my mind. lol. I did change it. But I will definitely take the other hose with me along with the wrench, if I need to change it back. The latch seems exactly the same. The BC connects to the hose just fine. If it's too long and i don't like it I can switch it back for the future, but since it came with the BC, I'm assuming it's a better fit.

Bring an adjustable or exact wrench and whichever hose is extra on your dive trip - just in case you dont like your set up. Easy to change wherever you are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom