Changing the battery on a Suunto Gekko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ninpuukamui

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I need to replace the battery on my Suunto Gekko, so I tried following the instructions from this video:

How to Replace Suunto Dive Computer Batteries - www.simplyscuba.com - YouTube

But I can't remove the wrist strap at all. I tried with several screwdrivers, with a tool similar to the one he shows before using the screwdriver, and also pushing from the holes on the sides just in case, but it won't move at all.

Is it just very stiff and I need to keep trying? Any tips on how to get it off?

Thank you very much in advance.

I saw the video, and the tool that he showed but didn't use is a spring-bar removal tool, one that looks like the Swiss-made Bergeon 6767-F model. You can find these on the Internet for about $25. Because of his experience and knowing exactly where to place the screwdriver blade and how to work it, he didn't need to use a specialized tool.

If you have a spring-bar removal tool, then use that instead of a screwdriver. If you don't have one, you might want to buy one. The Bergeon is the gold standard, but there are much cheaper ones around, and for only occasional use, a cheapie might be good enough.

I can't give you any tips on how to do it with a screwdriver (or even with a spring-bar removal tool, if you have one), but one possible solution is to take the Gekko into a local watch repair shop and ask them to remove the strap. Of course, you may have to bring it back once you replace the battery to get the strap back on. But while you're there, maybe the person who removes the strap can show you how to do it.

Try harder.. it should not be that difficult unless the pins have rusted. Some lube/WD40 on the pins may help.

+1 on try harder. I'm not sure what you are doing but in my experience they come out easily. They don't push through the holes you need to get a flat head or similar between strap and case and compress spring. As Ricky B posted if all else fails any watch shop will be able to do it in seconds, assuming not corroded. Good luck.

Thank you all, "try harder" was actually pretty much the right answer :)

I was able to get it out by prying from the other side of the strap, but this bar does NOT have a spring to be compressed. I got the computer second hand, so maybe it was replaced at some point.

Mission accomplished, in any case ^___^

I want to update this post with my latest information: Although I was able to remove the wrist strap, it was impossible to get it back in. I had to take it to a watch repair shop, where they confirmed the problem was that the spring had rusted, and were able to get it back in with special rust-removing grease and tools, but recommended I buy a new pin as he had to manually "unspring" the one I have pulling from the sides.

Back
Top Bottom