Changing tank valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tombiowami

Contributor
Reaction score
I have 2 alum80s yoke that I am considering changing to din. Is this something I need to have done at a shop or something that can be done at home with some common sense?

How much do the valves usually run, and is there a recommended brand? Are used Ok, (given good shape) or best to go with new? Any pros/cons to getting a set online as opposed to the LDS?

Tommy

Haven't actually changed one myself, but have watched a few shop techs remove the valve on my cylinders during a visual inspection.

They took a large crescent wrench and after a slight bump with their rubber mallet were able to remove the valve by hand.

Then after ensuring all was well after the inspection, they reversed the above procedure.

Excessive force is not needed to seat the valve after threading in by hand. Just enough of a tap to ensure it won't come off on it's own if the tank was completely drained.

You can do almost anything at home, but since you're asking how to remove the valve, I take it you don't do your own visuals... I would bet that your LDS would be willing to come close to the price of online, and be willing to VSP the tanks for you while they have them open. They should be willing to give you a good deal on the VSP since they don't have to touch the valves, and you're already in the store spending money with them. If not, then look for another LDS or just buy online. Get 12 more months of hassle-free diving out of the tanks that way...

But if you do decide to open the tank yourself, the most important thing hasn't been mentioned so far: MAKE SURE THERE IS NO PRESSURE IN THE TANK!!!! After loosening the valve assembly, it should turn very freely with your hand. If it doesn't, suspect that there might be some residual pressure and make sure you completely depressurize before continuing. At that point, you'll REALLY be wishing you'd dropped it off for the LDS to worry about :)

Oh, and used -vs- new: you'll need someone to check out a used valve. I would shop around, but make sure you add that cost to get a fair comparison. All things considered, I'd be surprised if you were able to save much by getting used and getting them shipped, checked out, etc.

Usual disclaimer about this being life-support equipment, etc...

don't pop the handle with your hand to remove/replace the valve. USE THE RIGHT TOOL! There is just no support for the upper portion if you do. You would think that there is a big screw mechanism in there that would give it support. They have actually isolated the screw portion from the rest of the valve since it is easier to seal that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom