Changing DUI wrist zip seals to another system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all-

I know there are a lot of similar threads on this subject already, but I was hoping to get help on my specific situation.

I currently have a DUI dry suit with zip seals. I think it's the CLX450; I haven't used it in almost a year so can't remember. The seals are fine, but I'm kind of over having dry gloves which can't be easily removed.

I was going to try the Marigold gloves, but I've been told they don't work very well on the DUI wrist cuffs.

I have worked with a shop in the past who does good work on dry suits and they've told me they can swap out the wrist seals for something else. They carry the SI Tech Antares system as well as the quick gloves system.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone done a conversion on a DUI suit, and if so, do they generally handle the conversion well?
2. Do you all like the SI Tech options or should I get some Kubis or something else and see how those go?

Thanks in advance.

I recommend switching to a different system as the cost of zip seals is ridiculously high. They work well from what I have heard/read but not sure if there is benefit to the cost given what else is now available on the market.

I would have an expanded conversation with your shop. If they can get the systems you mention then they should be able to obtain other options for you...if not then send your suit to a shop like DRIS that can install other options

My recommendation is to have your shop order the PU rings of the QCS oval system, this is the part of the system that is glued into the wrist cuff of the suit and acts as the base of the wrist and dryglove systems. Have them glue this in place. Then purchase either the Ultima DGS dryglove system or the Rolock 90 system....the cuff-side ring of these systems will work with the Si-Tech PU ring to retain the wrist seal and you will have the option to dive with or without the glove side depending on the conditions you are diving in.

The QCS oval system is sometimes referred to as the Antares system as it was sold as a complete system to retrofit into suits to use both user replaceable silicone seals and the Antares dryglove ring system.

The Antares dryglove ring system is one of the least recommended products on the market and is best avoided given the other products available. Same is true of the Quick Glove system you mentioned which is designed for the Si-Tech Quick Cuff round wrist ring system. Both of these systems have users that have complained they leak and inadvertently pop apart.

The PU ring from the QCS Oval (Antares) system can be purchased as a stand alone item, so there is no need to purchase a complete kit. Just have this piece glued into each sleeve and purchase as set of wrist seals in your choice of material and then rock and roll with a compatible dryglove system (in order of preference: Ultima DGS, Rolock 90, Si-Tech Virgo, Fourth Element Ellipse).

Kubi is also an interesting option and there are plenty of folks who have positive things to say about it. One of the shops I frequent is a Kubi dealer and they recommend the system but not with silicone wrist seals. They believe that although one can set it up with silicone seals, they say the way the system goes together stretches the silicone making it vulnerable to splitting, compared to latex wrist seals.

-Z

On my TLS I have used both KUBI and Rolock systems. Instead of zip gloves get zip seals then the glove part of the system attaches to the zip wrist seal. I preferred the KUBI system and when I got my new suit had the cuff side system installed.

Hi all-

I know there are a lot of similar threads on this subject already, but I was hoping to get help on my specific situation.

I currently have a DUI dry suit with zip seals. I think it's the CLX450; I haven't used it in almost a year so can't remember. The seals are fine, but I'm kind of over having dry gloves which can't be easily removed.

I was going to try the Marigold gloves, but I've been told they don't work very well on the DUI wrist cuffs.

I have worked with a shop in the past who does good work on dry suits and they've told me they can swap out the wrist seals for something else. They carry the SI Tech Antares system as well as the quick gloves system.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone done a conversion on a DUI suit, and if so, do they generally handle the conversion well?
2. Do you all like the SI Tech options or should I get some Kubis or something else and see how those go?

Thanks in advance.

Here’s another option for you. Pullover gloves with the Viking classic rings. The hard inner ring goes inside the wrist seal and the rubber outer ring goes on top. I’m doing this with my new DUI suit.

BE2A2A4A-A1C9-432A-9111-8CBFE3BFA692.jpeg

Here’s another option for you. Pullover gloves with the Viking classic rings. The hard inner ring goes inside the wrist seal and the rubber outer ring goes on top. I’m doing this with my new DUI suit.

View attachment 630006

Have you even tried this system yet?

-Z

Have you even tried this system yet?

-Z

I know a number of people who use it without issue on their DUI suits. Didn’t come up with the idea on my own. Gets dived tomorrow.

i have been using this system (viking pull overs ) for 15 -20 years i will never use anything else......

View attachment 630006

i have been using this system (viking pull overs ) for 15 -20 years i will never use anything else......

i use the same system on my dry suit. I used it for a long time on the wrist seal as Marie13 showed. Last year I actually got the outside rubber ring permanently installed so that I have user replaceable wrist seals. Works great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom