Changes in pressure and menstrual flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElizaDoolittle

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a recent addition to the diving world, so I haven't had to dive while on my period. I'd like to know, how do pressure changes affect the flow, if at all?

I've only had one previous experience involving a big difference in pressure owing to altitude, when I spent a month near Titicaca Lake, Bolivia (around 3,800 m / 12,500 feet). I've always had moderate flow during my period, but when it happened there, I had to buy two new sets of trousers and knickers because no matter how often I changed my sanitary pads, they would be hugely overflown, and I run out of clean clothes. At last, I decided to stay for two whole days reading a novel while sitting on the loo until it subsided into something manageable. After that, I was left with something resembling one of my worst (longest, wettest) periods.

I don't know whether this is the normal reaction to altitude, but that's what happened to me. I believe that when diving I'd be in the opposite situation (more pressure, instead of less), but after that experience, I'd like to know what to expect.

Thanks!

I'm a recent addition to the diving world, so I haven't had to dive while on my period. I'd like to know, how do pressure changes affect the flow, if at all?

I've only had one previous experience involving a big difference in pressure owing to altitude, when I spent a month near Titicaca Lake, Bolivia (around 3,800 m / 12,500 feet). I've always had moderate flow during my period, but when it happened there, I had to buy two new sets of trousers and knickers because no matter how often I changed my sanitary pads, they would be hugely overflown, and I run out of clean clothes. At last, I decided to stay for two whole days reading a novel while sitting on the loo until it subsided into something manageable. After that, I was left with something resembling one of my worst (longest, wettest) periods.

I don't know whether this is the normal reaction to altitude, but that's what happened to me. I believe that when diving I'd be in the opposite situation (more pressure, instead of less), but after that experience, I'd like to know what to expect.

Thanks!

That sounds like a spontaneous abortion (a miscarriage). Any possibility that you weren't pregnant at the time?

I'd like to know, how do pressure changes affect the flow, if at all?

Interesting. Ping: @Duke Dive Medicine

Thinking aloud, I imagine it would be difficult to determine what component, or combination, is causal. Normal individual variability, changes in exertion, PPO2, thermal stress...

For the medical side of it, sounds like you need to be checked by a doctor for what could be a whole host of problems. On the diving side of it, if you're a member of DAN, call them. They are a great resource. In the past when this was an issue for me, I would plan my diving around that time of the month. Thankfully, I no longer have to worry about it.:yeahbaby:

For the medical side of it, sounds like you need to be checked by a doctor for what could be a whole host of problems. On the diving side of it, if you're a member of DAN, call them. They are a great resource. In the past when this was an issue for me, I would plan my diving around that time of the month. Thankfully, I no longer have to worry about it.:yeahbaby:

That wasn't entirely because of concern when diving was it? More like preferring to be on vacation without having to fuss, am I right?

The Mirena IUD will reduce that difficulty down to barely anything. Save yourself money and trouble.

I dive on my period all the time. I'm prone to awful cramps; I have to use hormonal birth control to prevent the worst symptoms, and I still need ibuprofen to get through at least the first day. My normal flow is pretty heavy, but I haven't noticed any increase from diving. I actually find that getting in the water seems to help a little with the discomfort. Or maybe it's just a distraction.

I agree with those who think there was something else going on that time you had a heavy flow at altitude, and an early miscarriage would fit. I had a medication abortion once, which is physically very similar to a spontaneous miscarriage, and it was exactly as you describe. I felt like that elevator full of blood in The Shining.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom