changed hoses, never noticed this before

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealsix14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
so I just changed my reg configuration by myself for the first time. And I checked for air leaks, made sure it was tight and secure, and I also submerged the tanks with reg in water to check for bubbles and no bubbles came out of the hose connections.

But I did notice something, When I let the second stage just hang in the water, every other second or so, a single bubble would come out of the mouthpiece of the second stage. Is this normal? I never really did pay attention before since I assumed the shop did a good job putting their stuff together.

Nope, you either have a slight adjustment issue or a seat problem with the second stage or a very minor creep in the first. If it's been serviced recently, odds are it's just an adjustment. It's fairly common for a freshly serviced reg to need a little tweek after a few weeks/dives. If it's been a good while since the last service, it's telling you it's getting close to time for a rebuild. No real way to figure out which problem you have over the internet.

I had just picked these up a few weeks ago ago, there the Hollis DC1/212's so they were brand new and I would assume checked out. I'll check the second stage and probably have it taken to a LDS to have it looked it. Thanks.

Try this; pressurize it, make sure you're in a quiet place, then put your ear up to the mouthpiece and see if you hear anything. You should hear a slight hiss if there's any sort of real leak. One bubble every couple of seconds sounds more like a balance chamber leak, assuming this is a barrel poppet balanced 2nd. But I'm just guessing so take it with a grain of salt. If you bought it new from a dealer they'll take care of it. Better hope they don't make it worse!

If it's adjustable, you can try just turning the adjustment in a little, see if that stops it. Some regs are designed to freeflow a tiny bit with the adjustment all the way out. I never understood why....

The intermediate pressure could be creeping. If you don't have an IP gauge Standard Middle Pressure Gauge, Piranha Dive Manufacturing you can try the following test after you've followed Herman and Halo's advice. Purge the second stage and listen for a leak-or as you've done before submerge it. If the second stage is burping every now and then, it could indicate a problem with the first stage and the second stage is acting as a relief valve. If the regulator starts hissing just after you purge it, then it's probably an issue with the second stage. (or really high IP)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom