Change depth gauge/bottom timer battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have an older Oceanic analog maximum depth guage with what I believe is an LCD monitor for a bottom timer. How do I change the battery? How do I check the timer to be sure it's working (is it water activated?)?

Thanks.

It sounds like either the DataMax or DataMax 2, neither of which have a user-changeable battery. They have both been discontinued for many years, and factory service is no longer possible. I recall several posts regarding DIY, but a search didn't find anything. Try to track that down, or contact our service department if you're interested in an upgrade.

I have an older Oceanic analog maximum depth guage with what I believe is an LCD monitor for a bottom timer. How do I change the battery? How do I check the timer to be sure it's working (is it water activated?)?

Thanks.

Bump again….see this thread on battery replacement, but the question still remains about how to check to see if it is functioning? What would one see in the LCD if the unit has been sitting around for an extended period of time? Doug, could you dig up that info please?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/59844-oceanic-datamax-ii.html

c

Doug,

Thanks for your speedy reply....I do not have a pool, but am I to understand that the lcd will show nothing until it comes under a few feet of sea water?

Is there a link to a file that would have the owner's manual?

Thank you,

c

Thanks Scuba Board again. I bought a "non-working" gauge off of eBay. I was able to replace the batteries. It should be noted that getting into the plastic housing is one concern but the back of the gauge just pries off. I used a razor knife to get under the metal back plate next to where the alignment key is and the back came off.

To check if the unit is functioning...... while you have the back off there is a lever that when you press it towards the face of the gauge it causes the lever of the depth gauge to activate. This activates the bottom timer. Hold that lever down for a minute and then let it up and the surface timer should activate.

Thanks again to Scuba Board

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom