Change CMAS to PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alessandro Calello

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there folks,

Nothing much to add, the title says it all... can I do that? and keep in mind that I am in Europe...

Thanks.

Unless there is a law that says otherwise, which I've not heard of, you can train with whomever you like.

Bob

Actually what I'm saying is, I'm a first level CMAS, can I go now on second level PADI or to be PADI I should start from 0?

Your equivalent would be PADI advanced open water.

In most countries I know, that's not even close.
CMAS.ch has 1* diving autonomously (with a buddy) to 15m in calm and protected water.
FFESSM (france) has 1* that cannot dive with only a buddy. They are required to have a guide (3* and up) to be able to dive up to 20m.
"Official" CMAS 1* is 20m.

The next step is most likely taking AOW in terms of depth (my opinion).
There shouldn't be any issue going from CMAS 1* to PADI AOW. (There are quite a few issues reported the other way around though in the countries I mentionned).

Back in 1998, the president of CMAS (Achille Ferrero) and the vice president of PADI (Drew Richardson) signed a crossover agreement between the two agencies. According to that agreement:

• PADI AOW requires CMAS 1*
  • PADI Rescue requires CMAS 1* with minimum 9 logged dives, of which
    • 1 night dive
    • 1 navigation dive
    • 1 deep (>18m) dive
  • PADI DM requires CMAS 2*
  • CMAS 2* requires
    • PADI OW plus 5 logged dives, or
    • PADI AOW
  • CMAS 3* requires PADI Rescue plus minimum 25 logged dives

Here's the agreement (PDF). I assume it's still valid.

Note that some instructors may put more stringent demands on their students. I know a guy who won't enroll anyone for CMAS 2* unless they have 20 logged drysuit dives. For giving you CMAS 3* training, he requires 50 logged drysuit dives.

In most countries I know, that's not even close.
CMAS.ch has 1* diving autonomously (with a buddy) to 15m in calm and protected water.
FFESSM (france) has 1* that cannot dive with only a buddy. They are required to have a guide (3* and up) to be able to dive up to 20m.
"Official" CMAS 1* is 20m.

The next step is most likely taking AOW in terms of depth (my opinion).
There shouldn't be any issue going from CMAS 1* to PADI AOW. (There are quite a few issues reported the other way around though in the countries I mentionned).

I want to know if with my CMAS 1* I can change it for an Padi AOW...

Back in 1998, the president of CMAS (Achille Ferrero) and the vice president of PADI (Drew Richardson) signed a crossover agreement between the two agencies. According to that agreement:

• PADI AOW requires CMAS 1*
  • PADI Rescue requires CMAS 1* with minimum 9 logged dives, of which
    • 1 night dive
    • 1 navigation dive
    • 1 deep (>18m) dive
  • PADI DM requires CMAS 2*
  • CMAS 2* requires
    • PADI OW plus 5 logged dives, or
    • PADI AOW
  • CMAS 3* requires PADI Rescue plus minimum 25 logged dives

Here's the agreement (PDF). I assume it's still valid.

Note that some instructors may put more stringent demands on their students. I know a guy who won't enroll anyone for CMAS 2* unless they have 20 logged drysuit dives. For giving you CMAS 3* training, he requires 50 logged drysuit dives.

I hope it's still valid, thanks for this precious informations...

I want to know if with my CMAS 1* I can change it for an Padi AOW..
No, you can't change it for AOW. The CMAS 1* cert, as I know it, is virtually identical to the PADI OW cert. You should, however, be allowed to enroll a PADI AOW class if you have a CMAS 1* cert.

What I find interesting with the agreement is that in reality there are lower demands on crossing over from PADI to CMAS than climbing the CMAS ladder. A PADI AOW is below a CMAS 2*, as the 2* syllabus - again as I know it, there are national differences between CMAS certs - includes a bit of the PADI Rescue syllabus. Even though I have PADI certs, I'm quite convinced that the CMAS syllabus and, more importantly, the amount of hours spent in a CMAS class, generally is better and more extensive than PADI's syllabus. Also, the number of logged dives required for a CMAS diver to enroll a higher level class is larger than the number of dives required for a PADI diver.

Since my first cert was PADI OW, I'm currently climbing the PADI ladder. However, I see no reason at all to continue in the PADI system after Rescue. The PADI Rescue syllabus seems to be more extensive than the CMAS 2*, so that's a good thing. OTOH, I have absolutely no intention of "going pro", so the DM course doesn't fit me. CMAS 3* is a certification very similar to PADI DM, but it's geared towards non-profit club diving. I see a lot of value for the recreational (i.e. not-for-profit) diver in learning how to be a competent divemaster/dive leader, so the CMAS 3* class would fit me a lot better. If I ever take another class after Rescue, I don't believe it'll be given by PADI. I would, however, seriously consider CMAS 3*.

No, you can't change it for AOW. The CMAS 1* cert, as I know it, is virtually identical to the PADI OW cert. You should, however, be allowed to enroll a PADI AOW class if you have a CMAS 1* cert.

What I find interesting with the agreement is that in reality there are lower demands on crossing over from PADI to CMAS than climbing the CMAS ladder. A PADI AOW is below a CMAS 2*, as the 2* syllabus - again as I know it, there are national differences between CMAS certs - includes a bit of the PADI Rescue syllabus. Even though I have PADI certs, I'm quite convinced that the CMAS syllabus and, more importantly, the amount of hours spent in a CMAS class, generally is better and more extensive than PADI's syllabus. Also, the number of logged dives required for a CMAS diver to enroll a higher level class is larger than the number of dives required for a PADI diver.

Since my first cert was PADI OW, I'm currently climbing the PADI ladder. However, I see no reason at all to continue in the PADI system after Rescue. The PADI Rescue syllabus seems to be more extensive than the CMAS 2*, so that's a good thing. OTOH, I have absolutely no intention of "going pro", so the DM course doesn't fit me. CMAS 3* is a certification very similar to PADI DM, but it's geared towards non-profit club diving. I see a lot of value for the recreational (i.e. not-for-profit) diver in learning how to be a competent divemaster/dive leader, so the CMAS 3* class would fit me a lot better. If I ever take another class after Rescue, I don't believe it'll be given by PADI. I would, however, seriously consider CMAS 3*.

Thanks for your explanation, and personally I will go Pro, I have in mind to become an instructor and then open my own Diving Centre...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom