Certified divers & Students

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zerovis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
HI all ,I am looking for a list of Warm water countries in Europe where I can rent Tanks and weights only, without the Dive Guide.
some place sunny with a beach would be nice , Shallow dives 5 to 10 meters is all I need as I will be bringing my family ,
I am aware of Malta but would prefer someplace with more beaches.
Suggestions welcome ,

I know it's not Europe and lacks originality but Sharm will give you exactly this sort of experience. It seems to have almost become an extension of the med for European package tour operators. Good for the family, good beaches, most of the hotels I have been to have a jetti that goes out about 50m or so and gives you the chance to dive cheaply in water about 10m deep without the need for a boat. Good opportunity for children to dive as well.

Other than that Tenerife in the summer also has some good diving. Again you can do shore dives but I can't remember the name of the operator.

Last edited:
Marseille area in France. If you understand French (or used to read google translations), check this web site : Marseille Palmes , many dives spots are described (here is an example : Marseille Palmes - La Cte Bleue - Calanque de La Vesse other locations require a free sign-up).

the french have some local regulations about certification level for unsupervised diving.

the costa del sol has sandy beaches although the diving is pretty poor.
croatia is quite nice.
malta /gozo has less sandy beaches but better diving.
lots of choices around the canary islands.

the french have some local regulations about certification level for unsupervised diving.

Opposable only for dives which are organized in a dive club.

I suggest you to double check your assumptions about local regulations prior to contradict a native.

Opposable only for dives which are organized in a dive club.

I suggest you to double check your assumptions about local regulations prior to contradict a native.

maybe you could explain the regulations for renting cylinders and diving independantly in france

maybe you could explain the regulations for renting cylinders and diving independantly in france

French law (code de la consommation L122-1) prohibits the refusal to sell (or lease). No law or regulation authorizes the retailer to subordinate the sale or rental of equipment to the presentation of a certification.

Thanks Guys ,I have looked at the Canaries but none of the websites i have visited show any pricing for indopendent diving ,any for the opperators I have emailed say they dont cater for that and organise Led dives only. I will also check out the French sites ,will have to be the google route as I only speak English ,

I know it's not Europe and lacks originality but Sharm will give you exactly this sort of experience.

Except it won't, because the original poster would like to dive without a guide.

I'm sure many of us would love to grab cylinders and lead in Dahab or Nuweiba, and head out with a buddy, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Nic

Except it won't, because the original poster would like to dive without a guide.
I'm sure many of us would love to grab cylinders and lead in Dahab or Nuweiba, and head out with a buddy, but that's not going to happen any time soon.
Nic

Actually, this is not totally correct. I know from personal experience that several dive centres, at least in Dahab, especially those located on the sea front, would let their customers dive their house-reefs w/o beeing physically accompanied by the dive guide. The dive guide would typically stay around (ashore) to keep a remote eye on the divers, making sure they all, eventually, do come back ... It is understood that this is not a general rule, it applies to customers that "can be trusted" and is limited to the house reef. Yet, it provides the so desired freedom to a large extend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom