Cert for kid+Great dives for me+nice for mom+covid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajahduduk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for help planning a good situation for a week in Aug 2021:

• open for covid, all adults vaxed, and likely available now to book for Aug

• offers PADI OWC for 10-year old (he'll have done all but OW in Michigan by June)

• 10-year old has grandparents (my ex-in-laws, who are life-long kamai'ana) on big island. He will have been with them in Waimea a month prior. He's not interested in the tourist luau schtick but is interested in hiking & nature & more authentic culture & history

• offers good diving for me (global experience and much diving on big island mostly out of Kawaihae)

• any island, pref. not big island because (see above); I've been to Maui & Oahu but not spent much time on either island. As a kid I visited Kuai (I'm in 50s now).

• accomodations suitable for my 79-year old mother and her boyfriend (good on her, huh?) who is used to chain operations (Mariott, etc.) and is a little fussy

• so ideally a small resorty sitiation with a dive shop with prices as standard but not over the top

Aloha!

-Kauai is now back on the "Safe travel pretesting program". You'll need to show a negative test from a listed testing facility within 72 hours of arriving. The state is in the process of figuring out how to let fully vaccinated people bypass the pre travel test.

-All dive shops here offer PADI completion of the course.

-For the 10 year old, Kauai is perfect for hiking and enjoying the outdoors from mauka to makai (mountain to ocean). I can go more into depth about the islands wildlife later if you'd like.

-Diving on each island offers a different experience. Each island is a different age geologically which plays a huge role in it all. Niihau diving should be on your radar!

-You can't go wrong with any Hawaiian island, they're all amazing! Kauai being my favorite, thats why I made it home. It's not as busy as other islands and is more laid back. Not much stays open late here!

-For your mother, there's plenty of nice small resorts to choose from.

-There's 2 Mariotts here, Grand Hyatt, Koloa Landing, and Sheraton to name a few(many more). There isn't any all included resort dive shop setups here. You'll meet at a dive shop or directly at the shops harbor for diving. A rental car is a must on Kauai. I've heard there are less rental cars here currently because a bunch were shipped off island during covid shutdown. I'd look ahead and find a deal in advance.

I hope this covers your questions, let me know what I can go more into depth with. I just got back from a Niihau trip and am exhausted. It's bed time for me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom