Cerebral Palsy and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Tours N Iraq`

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are there any divers on this site that have CP? If so, can you please tell me about your certification experience and support network? My girlfriend has CP and wants to learn to dive. Thanks for the help in this.

CP - Handicapped Scuba Association would be the appropriate certification agency Handicap Scuba Association They have been around since 1981 and the handicapped from paralysis though CP are what they do. While she takes the certification course, you would take the dive buddy program to learn about diving with CP and other disabilities. A person with CP may be able to dive, as with all divers, a medical evauation of the diver would be required. HSA could talk more on this.

To meet a community of divers with disabilities and those who support them, check out Diveheart Foundation

I've also worked helped train some divers with CP, so I can give you some perspective from that end if you'd like.

Sory for bringing up an old post, but it`s subject aplies to me to. :) I am 20 years old with a very mild degree of cerebral palsy. I`m planning to get my divers license. My primary question is this: Is it corect that because of my mild disability I need 2 dive budies every time I diwe? if that`s the case is there any way I can get around this, like some test to prowe i can do it with just 1

also any experience you or anyone else would have on the subject of training and getting your license with a disability would help enormously :) sory for bad spelling but I`m norwegian hehe

---------- Post added ----------

To meet a community of divers with disabilities and those who support them, check out Diveheart Foundation

I've also worked helped train some divers with CP, so I can give you some perspective from that end if you'd like.

Sory for bringing up an old post, but it`s subject aplies to me to.
icosm14.gif
I am 20 years old with a very mild degree of cerebral palsy. I`m planning to get my divers license. My primary question is this: Is it corect that because of my mild disability I need 2 dive budies every time I diwe? if that`s the case is there any way I can get around this, like some test to prowe i can do it with just 1

also any experience you or anyone else would have on the subject of training and getting your license with a disability would help enormously
icosm14.gif
sory for bad spelling but I`m norwegian hehe

I forgot to quote so i re-posted

I don't have CP, but do have a disability. I heard many ways of getting my certification, and after some debate went with PADI. They have clear options for people with disabilities, and if you can accomplish the tasks you can become certified to dive (like any other person...). I recently posted getting others opinions on this, and you can also check that out if interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom