Cenotes temp around Playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lsorenson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys... Heading to Coz (next week) for 2 weeks of diving and plan to hit the Cenotes midway through... Was hoping for some input regarding temperatures I can expect... I have read were some get cold and wear hoods but no mention of temperature.

So can somebody help out with what I might expect...?

Thanks, lee

Low end 75ºF. If you’re just doing cenotes, I usually do either a 5mm full suit and boots, or most places rent/include a 3mm full with a 3mm shorty over the top. If you’re doing caves, you’ll want a bit more exposure protection.

Cenotes in that area run 75-79F. How much thermal protection you wear for that is up to your individual tolerances.
I dive them in a 3/2 full with a hood and occasionally vent a little water. My wife dives them in a 5ml full with hood and is cool, but not cold. Lots of others do these dives dry.

Thanks guys... tolerances is quite unique to each individual... that is why I like to ask for temperatures. There are times I will find myself diving in a skin and feeling fine and another diver in a 5mm, gloves, hood and a parka to boot is complaining about it being cold... :)

Diving dry is a thought but I am dragging enough gear down as it is; damn airlines and there baggage fees...!

Thanks again for the info, lee

Fresh water in the cenotes is around 77 F ( 25 Celsius), if you dive in a cenote where is possible to find halocline ( mixture of fresh and salt water), temperatute will rise to 82-83 F ( 27 Celsius). Most of the divers aea comfortable with a long 3 mm wetsuit plus a 3 mm shortie on top, and a hood.
Cheers.

The cenote tour dives are fairly short, in the range of 45 minutes. I was okay with a 3 mil suit and hood, and I don't tolerate cold AT ALL. I did about 70 minutes in a 5 mil suit and hood this last trip; I wouldn't want to do a whole lot more, and went back to my dry suit.

I usually do 3 cenotes in one day and about an hour in each one.. I wear a 6/3 full suit without a hood or gloves. As Nico said if you are in a cenote with a halocline you can drop into the salt water to warm up if you need too.

Thanks CenoteX... This was exactly what I was looking for...! and thanks everyone for chiming in...!!! lee

Fresh water in the cenotes is around 77 F ( 25 Celsius), if you dive in a cenote where is possible to find halocline ( mixture of fresh and salt water), temperatute will rise to 82-83 F ( 27 Celsius). Most of the divers aea comfortable with a long 3 mm wetsuit plus a 3 mm shortie on top, and a hood.
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom