cenotes are they worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melanie White

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We will be in Cozumel in September. We have never dived anywhere other than Jamacia. I have 8 dives. Hubby has 15.
We have 7 nights there . And wondering is the cenotes worth giving up a 2 tank morning boat dive one day. Or not really ?
Thanks

We will be in Cozumel in September. We have never dived anywhere other than Jamacia. I have 8 dives. Hubby has 15.
We have 7 nights there . And wondering is the cenotes worth giving up a 2 tank morning boat dive one day. Or not really ?
Thanks

I love cenotes. I think they're amazing. BUT, in your case, I wouldn't give up 2 dives in Coz to dive the cenotes, unless you're never going back to Mexico again. Having only dived in Jamaica, you're going to be amazed with Cozumel. You'll want to dive as much as you can in Coz. Then, come back next time and stay on the mainland and dive the cenotes.

Great answer. The cenotes are incredible, but you have an opportunity to drift diving. Take that opportunity and enjoy. And when your planning Riviera Maya in the future - post here again and we will get you to the right people and the right cenotes. Enjoy Cozumel!!

I love cenotes. I think they're amazing. BUT, in your case, I wouldn't give up 2 dives in Coz to dive the cenotes, unless you're never going back to Mexico again. Having only dived in Jamaica, you're going to be amazed with Cozumel. You'll want to dive as much as you can in Coz. Then, come back next time and stay on the mainland and dive the cenotes.

Spot on. It wasn't until my fourth trip to Coz that I broke the week up and spent something like 3 days in Coz and 3 on the mainland diving cenotes. I love both now. I'm guessing that when I finally get cave certified I will alternate Mexico vacations between Coz and the mainland. I promised my wife, who's not as into caves as I am, that I will never completely forsake Coz.

You also should have really good buoyancy control in the cenotes, with only 8 dives you might still need some more practice.

My suggestion would be to dive as much as possible while in Cozumel. If there is a full moon or somewhere close to that then see if later in the week you two can do a night dive. The shop will supply you with extra lights etc. IMO you both just need to dive in an open water environment. Get something like 50 dives completed before you try a cenote. They are beautiful, most divers go to Dos Ojos as their first cenote dive. It will be all overhead environment but with areas of sunlight throughout the two dives to give you a place to exit if needed. Hope that helps.

Second on a few more dives and at least a couple of night dives, prior to cenotes wrecks and other overhead environments

Thank you I think I will save them for another trip. I'm hoping to get 10 boat dives, 1 wreck dive,1 night dive maybe even 2 tank one. And a lot of shore diving 1 to 2 times a day. So 22 or more dives that week.

Back
Top Bottom