cenote!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divescubasteve1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to dive the cenote's in mexico, I think they are near Tulum. can any one give me some insight to diving there. Like when is the best time to go? guides or no guides. What was the cost?
Its on my bucket list.
Thanks Steve.

Since the cenotes open to guided cavern dives are on the mainland, not Cozumel, you should look for discussions in the main Mexico forum, where this thread should have been posted. Tulum is one area. There are cenotes all over the area south of Cancun, but Tulum is a great place to base yourself. Unless you're a certified cave diver--correction, in some cases even if you are a certified cave diver--you will need a guide. All the dive shops down there offer guided cenote cavern dives.

There are lots of threads discussing these cenotes dives and suggesting dive ops to use. Cenote Xperience in Play del Carmen gets mentioned a lot, but there are many others. You might start by reading this sticky in the Mexico forum: A word to the wise on cenote diving

I try to dive the cenotes everytime we head to Cozumel at least once, usually twice a year. I have only dove with Cenote Experience and see no reason to dive with anyone else as long as they are available. Martin is an amazing guide and one of the best divers I have ever seen. More importantly, we have never had a surprise or a no show, or even had them show up late. Everything runs exactly as planned. The cost is slightly higher than a normal reef dive ($125?) but well worth it in my mind. I usually ferry over from Cozumel, Martin meets me at the ferry, and we drive to the shop for tanks and paperwork then off to the cenotes for the day. The water is a little cooler but I was fine in a GOOD 3mm, low flow wetsuit and a hood.

I did 3 cenotes the first time in a day and I was pretty tired by the time we got back to Cozumel. It was a long, but fun day. 2 cenotes is about right for me.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

Personally, I love cenote diving. On the other hand, my wife hates it. Just creeps her out.

Cenote diving is all about being in complete control with high situational awareness. Done right, you should be able to move very slowly and control your position in the water column within a one (1) foot range.

The water in the mainland cenotes is supplied by a fairly deep aquifer and is around 72 degrees. Personally, I prefer a 5mm suit. These are shallow dives and expect up to one (1) hour underwater. You will get cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom