Cenote Xcacelito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Hatfield

Contributor
Reaction score
Ontario , Canada & Playa del Carmen, Mexico
# of dives
500 - 999
In March/2012, I did a day trip to Akumal for some snorkelling with my wife and her brother's family. The wind was up and the water choppy. We didn't see as much as usual in the bay so we headed south to Xcacel beach. I hadn't been there before but it was recommended by a friend who called it a 'little know hidden gem'. The site is a protected beach with a cenote called Xcacelito. He was right about the beach. It was beautiful. There was also a coral ridge protecting the north end of the beach. Even though it was windy and rough my brother-in-law and I went in at the far north end and did a drift snorkell back to the centre of the beach. The site is accessed from the highway at the first retorno south of the Chyumil exit. The entry is by 'donation' but the employees at the gate demanded 10 pesos p/p. I guess I could cough up 80 cents p/p even if there was 7 of us.

To make long story short....After spending some time on the beach we all took the 10 minute walk through the jungle to the cenote. The path was well maintained and easy to navigate. While swimming in the cool fresh water I saw a cave marker and a line at the east end. The cenote itself was small but I couldn't actually see the cave entrance. This cenote is in close proximity to the beach and the line was at the end closest to the beach so my guess is that the exit may be in the ocean.

My question is.....Does anyone have any further information on this dive site. Is there anyone on ScubaBoard that has done it? Are there any guides that will take me there? Somebody must know something otherwise there wouldn't be a line there.

Hello mr Ed Hatfield: my name is carlos and I living in the area I also a cave guide...i don'tknow if that cenote end at the ocean but I know another one call: casa cenote(south of xel-ha)and this one ends at the ocean...howhever I can reserch for you if that cenote is possible to do a traverse dive!!

Ed: I think that one is part of the Xunaan Ha system, currently the 5th longest submerged cave in the world (160,000+ feet of cave).
I read today that they are about 80 feet away from proving it connects to the ocean but the passage may not be big enough for a human.

Sadly much of the cave may be the site of "new development" according to one of the main explorers, and may become inaccessible and collapsed

Check this site for some info:

X'cacel & X'cacelito

Thanks for the reply. That is a great link. I also found information on the proposed developments that could ruin this area. Anyone with access to a vehicle that snorkels in Akumal should add Xcacel to the day trip. Some public awareness can go a long way with conservation efforts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom