Cenote tour with a solo operator... how do I know he's safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alwayssummer

Fish out of Water
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had been discussing doing a cenote dive with someone at my hotel in PDC. She came back from yoga today and explained that she was introduced to an instructor who works for a well known shop that has a good reputation here on scubaboard. If you ask for recommendations for cenote diving from PDC, their name will come up. The shop allows him to use their gear to run tours on his own. I've verified his instructor status with PADI and he sent us a document showing his identity documents. I believe he's really an instructor. Is there any way to know about his safety record?

many instructors / guides work independently and book through various dive shops in the area. why not just give us the instructors name and the shop you would booking through?

many instructors / guides work independently and book through various dive shops in the area. why not just give us the instructors name and the shop you would booking through?
I didn't know if that was acceptable... Julian Gonzalez. He works for Tank Ha, but we're booking directly with him.

we have used tank ha many times but it has been awhile. if matt is still running things there he is a solid guy and a trust him and his judgement.

i cannot say i remember anyone by that name but if he works for matt i would think he is a good choice.

any particular reason to book direct with him rather than through tank ha? i assume it would be less expensive.

we have used tank ha many times but it has been awhile. if matt is still running things there he is a solid guy and a trust him and his judgement.

i cannot say i remember anyone by that name but if he works for matt i would think he is a good choice.

any particular reason to book direct with him rather than through tank ha? i assume it would be less expensive.
I'm not the person doing the arrangements. I just wanted to stop here for a quick sanity check before I agree to go with the plans another diver made. We met him today and he spoke like a safety-conscious operator.

for what its worth.....tank ha did confirm they started using this guy recently and do recommend him. this came from Sylvia at tank ha.

the previous post about liability insurance may be relevant to you. might be a good idea to make sure. this is mexico we are talking about after all. lol

Back
Top Bottom