Cenote-ing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MerMare

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I would love some advice from people who have done the cenote/cavern dives near Cancun. My husband and I are thinking of going there in April, and I'm strangely attracted to the idea of the cavern diving. I tend to be a little claustrophic and definitely couldn't handle full-on cave diving, but the larger caverns, along with not being farther than 150 feet away from natural light sounds doable. However, I don't want to get in over-my-head, so to speak.

Thoughts from people who have done it? Is it pretty intense, or a fairly laid back experience? I've seen a couple of posts that seemed to indicate that there was "more overhead than expected", so I'm a bit concerned about small, underwater passageways, as opposed to huge, open caverns.

Advice for this cavern diver wannabe, please!

I did them early on in my diving experience. There are some areas where confinement might pose a problem if you are claustrophobic. I used to run around miles of caves sin water as a kid, and don't have the fear. To me the cenote dives are fantastic, easy and highly reccommended. If you do them as your last dives on the trip, you get a great fresh water rinsing of your gear.

How do you feel about long, dark swimthroughs? A cavern dive is sort of like a night dive with several swimthroughs. The difference being is that if you aren't comfortable on a 20-30ft dive in the ocean after 10 minutes or so, you can just go up (slowly and safely, of course.) In a cavern there is no up. You have to make your way to an exit point and it is likely to involve some turns and possible tight swimthrough type spots.

I'm not claustorphobic but during a bout of minor panic with an equipment malfunction in a cavern I had been in before, it felt pretty confining. And it was one of the easiest cenote/cavern dives you can do. A little more then half the dive went fine. My problem would have been relatively minor and easily handled in open water. In the cavern all my attention goes to the dive and before I could figure out that my power inflator was stuck in the inflate mode, I was faced with negotiating a swimthrough type area and couldn't get in control of my thoughts. Even in the easiest caven dives like Dos Ojos and Bat Cave there are sections that feel pretty enclosed.

If you do decide to try it, when your guide asks you if you are claustorphobic, be honest about it. Even better, talk to them about it before you book your dives. If they feel that it is not a safe environment for you then accept their decision. A cavern dive is not the place to test your limits.

I tend to be a little claustrophic...

Uh.... WARNING! - you might want to try your first cavern experience in the US, not in Mexico...

We wanted to dive one of the Cenotes, this past October. I did lot's of research, and the consensus was to use Manta Divers, and ask for Leif as our guide. Some of the divers that I contacted said that Leif has a sterling reputation and is one of the best cavern guides in Cancun.

I spoke to the owner, John,(an American from Texas), a few times and he was very helpul. We booked a wreck & reef dive, along with a Cenotes dive, in advance, and requested Leif for the Cenotes.

Here's a brief, and not very detailed, synopsis of our experience.

Leif gave a very, very thorough briefing. (He had plenty of time, as it was about an 1 1/2 hr drive. The water was a tad chilly, (mid-70's, perhaps?), and quite clear and beautiful. At this particular Cenote, we geared up, and walked down a couple of flights of wide steps, which lead down to a large cavern.

We guestimated the weights, (didn't need as much as it is fresh water), and did giant-strides into the water for our buoyancy checks. Basically, you swim in single-file, a few feet apart, with Leif in the front. (There was also a photographer following the group around...who wore doubles, as did Leif). If you needed to get his attention, you point your light, over his right side, and wave it straight up and down. All the rest of the signals were the same that you used on night dives.

He had a powerful light, that he illuminated the caverns with. There were multiple swim-thoughs, and few places with somewhat tight quarters, (I've been in tighter spots diving swimthroughs in Cayman). The water is crystal clear and the rock formations are beautiful.

I will admit, that was a tad eerie, knowing that you can not safely ascend, in the event of an emergency. (This was my second dive trip, with my own gear, and the confidence that I felt in it on that day made it worth every penny!) If memory serves, we started with ~3,000 psi, and we had to let him know when we hit 2,000. The rule is, 1/3rd in, 1/3rd out, which leaves 1,000 in the event of problems. The depths were quite shallow. It was a very relaxing dive.

For the subsequent dive, didn't even get out of the water, we switched tanks, in the water. It was similiar to the first dive. Very pretty, and very relaxing. I did start to feel chilled, about 1/2 way through the second dive. (I wore a 2mm shorty) If you get cold easily, I would suggest wearing a full suit.

Be aware that, from Cancun, it's an all-day adventure....you roll out around 8:30 and don't get back until around 4:00 pm. It includes a very good lunch, (but not beverages)

Did we have fun? Yes! Would I do it again? Probably not. It's definitely a great experience but, for me anyway, it's a "been there, done that" type of thing.

If you're comfortable with your skills, (decent buoyancy is a must), and not too claustrophobic, then I suggest giving it a try.

Hope this helps!

I'll second the rec for Leif, he is great and fun, nice to have dived and had some beers with him.

My husband & I have dove the Cenotes 4 times and enjoyed it everytime. There are definitely some tight spots so be very sure that your Divemaster is aware that you are a little uncomfortable. It may make you feel better to take something to clang on your tank to get his attention if you start to have problems as sometimes it takes a minute to get their attention by waving your flashlight. If at all possible I would go as it is a unique experience.

in my opinion (just did a cave class in Mx), I would be VERY wary going into an overhead with 1/3 rule on single tanks with possible unknown buddies.

The cave1 rules are 1/6 of doubles, and you go through plenty of training to make sure you are comfortable in the environment.

150 feet from air might not sound like much, but what if you have a problem, your buddy is not close enough to you? (off looking at Speleothems somewhere).

Go to the pool and try to swim 150 feet underwater on a breathold and see how it feels. Then try it without hyperventilating etc. (to simulate a real emergency).

The results might be pretty sobering.

daniel f aleman:
I tend to be a little claustrophic...

Uh.... WARNING! - you might want to try your first cavern experience in the US, not in Mexico...
I second that warning. I enjoyed some wonderful diving in Dos Ojos cenote on a "OW diver tour", but a lot of time the closest open water was not at all obvious because it was inside a dark cave. The combination of being underwater, no outside light in sight, and then having some sort of equipment problem is not a good place for someone who "tend(s) to be a little claustrophobic".

Back
Top Bottom