cenote information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcmpw

Reaction score
i have searched high and low looking for information on cenotes and caves in cozumel and mexico. i am hoping maybe some of you may know some links to information, including reviews and detailed maps.

i have limited time (one day) to spend inland mexico and want to dive the most spectacular and biggest bang for my time. any help will be much appreciated.

let me cram one other thought in this thread and that is can you ferry your rental car inland, or is there a better way?

mcmpw:
i have searched high and low looking for information on cenotes and caves in cozumel and mexico. i am hoping maybe some of you may know some links to information, including reviews and detailed maps.

i have limited time (one day) to spend inland mexico and want to dive the most spectacular and biggest bang for my time. any help will be much appreciated.

let me cram one other thought in this thread and that is can you ferry your rental car inland, or is there a better way?
I haven't done any cenotes....yet. In May, I'm heading down to Akumal, where I definatly plan to hit some. So everything I know is hearsay.

There is a cenote on Cozumel that can be dived, however, I'm sure it doesn't compare to those on the penensula. I would check out Zero Gravity.

James

check out http://www.hiddenworlds.com
I was in cancun last week and there were 2 cenotes off the highway between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. Hidden World is the bigger of the two. The other was Cenote Azule, it looked like a small family place.

mcmpw:

I was in Playa last Feb.I don't know about cenotes in Cozumel. I understand that the best ones are on the peninsula,quite a lot close to Playa,Tulum etc.I dived Chaak-Mol which was quite nice;I've been told is one of the best because of the sunrays getting thru and it's not that packed,but actually i can't compare.Every diving shop in Playa does cenotes every day so it shouldn't be a problem even if you are strapped for time,provide you tell them in advance(just one day).Enjoy.

I dove with Hidden Worlds (www.hiddenworlds.com) about 2 years ago. They were an outstanding operation. For those of us who are not cave certified, they had very small groups of about 3-4 divers led by a cave instructor. The geologic formations were unreal! I would highly recommend them, and can't wait to take another day trip to the mainland on my next Cozumel trip!

the cenotes in cozumel are really not set up for cavern dives. your best bet is diving the systems on the mainland.

I agree with Augustus. I have done 4 separate caves on Cozumel, and there really is no "Cavern" zone to speak of. They are remarkable, but for a cavern tour I'd go with a mainland operator.

With limitted time, I'd think it would be a complete CF to try and get a car over to the mainland, find an op/site do the dive and then get back in one day. It's doable, but a lot of bother for nothing.

Most of the shops from Cancun south can arrange Cenotes dives. I just got back. We use Tank-ha out of Play del Carmen ( www.tankha.com ) They are good people and can tank you to several different Cenotes. The one they go to the most is Choc Mol. It is nice. Also has a heliocline (where salt water has seeped in -- strange experience!!). I really like Dos Ojos. But there are lots and lots of good places. You will do better with the shops in Playa del Carmen then Cancun. Tank-ha can do all of the arrangements online.

Greg

Back
Top Bottom