Cell Phone Coverage On Cayman Aggressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Got an iPhone 5s & use AT&T. In a nutshell, booked a Cayman Aggressor trip over in May. Noticed on their 'Know Before You Go' site:

"There is a computer station and satellite phone onboard. It is likely your cell phone/email will work depending on your service provider; however, we suggest you check with your provider prior to traveling. If you need to send an email, you may use the boats email account. Web browsing is not available."

I tend to think of live-aboard trips as 'off the grid' trips, but the option for my wife to reach me (we've got a 3 year old) from home would be good. So I went to AT&T's site and found this:

"Voice:
Calls Placed/Received
While inCayman Islands
Pay Per Use Voice Rate $2.50 per minute

AT&T Passport℠ Packages -
One-Time and Monthly Recurring Charges Passport $30:120 MBs (overage $0.25/MB); $1.00/minute
Passport Silver $60: 300 MBs (overage $0.20/MB); $0.50/minute
Passport Gold $120: 800 MBs (overage $0.15/MB); $0.35/minute
All packages include unlimited text/picture/video messages sent.
Passport Silver and Gold packages also include unlimited Wi-Fi data access at participating hotspots in select countries (listed at att.com/globalcountries). Requires download and activation of AT&T Passport app.
For short trips, choose a one-time charge. Package automatically expires after 30 days.
For longer/many trips, choose a monthly recurring charge. 2-month minimum term required."

Table format won't carry over with a copy & paste, but I think you get the idea.

If the weather cooperates, Lord willing and providing the trip goes as I hope, we'd spend a considerable amount of time heading to & from, and staying at, Little Cayman and Cayman Brac.

Before I cough up the money, anyone got any idea what the odds are I'd get a cell phone signal & be able to converse with my wife & e-mail via the phone on this trip, when away from Grand Cayman?

Richard.

P.S.: Anything know if using the boat's system to send e-mail is free? If there's no web browsing, how would you get an answer?

When I travel abroad for business, I buy a prepaid local SIM card. It takes a little bit of research or a local that knows the best place/language. As long as you phone is unlocked you can get CHEAP data/voice compared to AT&T roaming.

Good to know. I've heard of people doing that on Bonaire trips. Thing is, I'm not 'handy,' and I don't know anything about swapping out a SIM card in an iPhone 5s (mine is not 'unlocked,' if that matters).

Richard.

When we were on the T&C Aggressor my cell phone did not work during most of the trip, but when we were on our way back and getting closer to Provo the Captain told us that our phones might start working and mine did.

But when you are on the Cayman Aggressor you will be close to inhabited islands most of the time, except during the crossings to and from Grand Cayman, so you may be able to get a regular signal. Maybe you should call the Aggressor and ask about it.

I remember using the onboard email system on a liveaboard trip but I don't remember which one. I wanted to stay in touch because a family member was very ill. There was a charge for the service but I don't think it was too bad. They gave me a login and password. The emails weren't instantly available, sometimes there was a half-day or a full-day delay in receiving the messages, but I imagine that the technology is better now.

Aggressor could've certainly worded their KBYG page better but you're reading more into it also. The computer is not linked to the phone - it's merely for:
The Cayman Aggressor IV offers a complete digital photo facility including a PC for downloading photos
The second line refers to using your phone/carrier off all 3 islands - an option with AT&T per their coverage map - apparently 3G/2G in the Sisters though. I can't link directly to it but - AT&T Maps - Wireless Coverage Map for Voice and Data Coverage from AT&T - re-type Cayman Islands, search then click International in the pop-up.

Most of the Cayman dive sites surround the islands - CA is more about diving three islands conveniently than sites not reachable from shore. Dive Sites Cayman Islands - iDive

Cell coverage on the crossing over? lIkely none that night. That's where the SAT phone comes in handy - they work anywhere. I wouldn't be planning long chats with the wife on the ride over since I'm sure you pay their per minute charge - or even an upcharge above the base rates - currently >$2/minute or so on the Iridium network.
Anything know if using the boat's system to send e-mail is free?
You don't get out much do you...:D
If there's no web browsing, how would you get an answer?
You send an e-mail using their account linked to the sat phone then connect again to receive the reply later.

Worst case the Brac is all fiber-optic landlines now. I'm sure the Aggressor crew would run you in to make a call.

How did it work on SunDancer? That was an Aggressor boat when you were on it.

Last edited:
Although I see little reason to do so for your trip.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. When I did the Sun Dancer 2 out of Belize, I knew barring expensive emergency calls, I'd be off the grid, no e-mail, till that Friday afternoon when we were back at port, when I paid for temp. access to a local wireless provider and spent the afternoon routing through my mountain of emails.

I can handle being off the grid a few days; it'd just be nice to talk to my wife once in awhile if it weren't too expensive. If I can call when we're near Little Cayman and Cayman Brac, that should serve nicely.

Thanks for the video; I don't anticipate changing out a SIM card, but I've been curious about how it's done. Good to know.

Richard.

We got verizon signal when close to GC and LC. I don't remember about CB. We only did 2 dives there.

You also have wifi from many of the shops in GC for checking email.

I lead a group out to northern BC to a little isolated dive lodge each fall. It has always been completely "off the grid". Last year, I rented a satellite phone since Mrs. Stoo had recently broken her leg, and I wanted to stay in touch. It wasn't inexpensive... about $150 for the week. However, this included unlimited usage. I called every evening and a number of other people used it as well. It worked like a charm.

I neglected to mention to the folks at the office that I had a phone. My bad.

The Cayman Islands use the GSM standard exclusively. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM in the US as do most carriers from elsewhere in the world.

In the United States Sprint, Verizon, and US Cellular use the CDMA standard. The two standards are not compatible so those with service from Sprint, Verizon, or US Cellular will likely find that their phones cannot connect to the network in Cayman, not even for emergency calls to 9-1-1.

GSM phones use a SIM card. CDMA phones do not. You can buy a local SIM card in Cayman to connect to the cell network at local rates using service providers Digicel or FLOW (fka LIME, fka Cable & Wireless). Going the local SIM route will likely be much cheaper per minute than roaming.

Back
Top Bottom