cell phone coverage in USVI or BVI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoelessone

Registered
Reaction score
I have a cellone cell phone and I am wondering if I can get cell service (national coverage) on/around the USVI - anybody have any exerpience with this issue?

Thanks!

It's spotty and unreliable in the USVI. It's "fairly" reliable on St. Thomas and St. John, but not as reliable on St. Croix and parts of the north shore have no coverage at all, not even for local providers like Cingular. Saying that, these islands are hilly and there are spots on all three islands that get bad or no reception. If Cellone have a roaming agreement with Cingular then you have the best chance. Er..I meant Cingular...wrote orange while looking at my cellphone bill..

My dad used his cellphone while we were down in ST.Thomas in November. We have the national plan with mobile to mobile...I think it just costed roaming fees to call mobile to mobile. My dad never said anything about the bill being expensive, so I guess ours worked. We're "blessed" with having Verizon wireless as our cellphone carrier.

Isn't cellone a group of wireless providers. So depending on your home area you may have Cingular, Nextel, Verizon or t-mobile? In St. Thomas and St. John I've used Sprint and cingular both work very well but there are some patchy areas. More for Sprint is what I found, but the Sprint wireless web also worked (in the coverages areas).

You should also check your plan as you may get coverage but some plans consider the USVI as roaming, AT&T mobile (when it was around) used to. Cingular and Sprint do not if you have a national plan.

The BVI's are another story so if you venture over there and use your phone be prepared for a hefty roaming fee. Also there is coverage on the water too, but that's always a good time to put the phone away.

So yes to service, just contact your mobile provider so you don't get any hidden charges as a surprise when you return from paradise.

Chris

Cingular works like a charm in St. Thomas.

sweet thanks for the updates guys!

I have the national plan, and i have been TOLD that wherever i can get service, i am covered - that being said, i find that hard to believe, too good to be true. but maybe.

ANyway, we'll find out I guess :)

Sounds like you should be fine then. Just keep in mind that there are some dead spots due to the hilly terrain. So don't do an important phone call while on a drive around the island as you will most likely drop at some point. I think all the resorts are in coverage areas also.

Chris

shoelessone:
sweet thanks for the updates guys!

I have the national plan, and i have been TOLD that wherever i can get service, i am covered - that being said, i find that hard to believe, too good to be true. but maybe.

ANyway, we'll find out I guess :)

only issue I had was when the bill came in and Cingular was billing me for international calls. My phone picked up a cell in the BVI's when I was in Red Hook, they did credit the charges so it is all good

Back
Top Bottom