CCR Cave course duration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For someone starting cave diving from scratch on CCR... what's the minimum number of instruction days and in-water hours required for CCR cave? (obviously the max is well, a long time)

I know my CCR cave crossover was 3 days, but I was already full cave have with hundreds of cave dives over two decades. IIRC the required in water minutes was 240+

TDI CCR Cavern-2 days/5 dives
TDI CCR Intro-2 days/4 dives
TDI CCR Full-4 days?/6 dives-Edit: somehow I missed that line in the standards. I was scratching my head because it seemed far too short.

Preferred plan for me If I was going Saturday-Sunday then Saturday is gear configuration, land drills/OW line work. Sunday/Mon/Tues/Wed is basically intro stuff learning lights out/air sharing/etc, all the fundamental stuff. Give Thurs as a recovery day to let everything set in and make any modifications to gear/land drills. Certify as "intro" and let them go do a fun dive if they want and reset, then Fri/Sat/Sun for full cave.

I don't think you should do that though personally, but that wasn't the question. Controversial, but I do think at least one full day should be done on open circuit to let them feel the tick-tock and give you some full dives to get a SAC rate since I think SAC swims are horsesh!t. Let them do a full dive and base their SAC rate on the whole dive not some 200ft calculated swim.

Thanks @Dr. Doug Ebersole :)

Follow-up question... Is Eagle's Nest considered a suitable CCR Cave course site assuming the students already have trimix? Who negotiated that with FL Fish and Wildlife??

I asked about CCR cave - there is no cavern, intro, full, stage, etc which is why I asked.

Follow-up question... Is Eagle's Nest considered a suitable CCR Cave course site assuming the students already have trimix? Who negotiated that with FL Fish and Wildlife??

I asked about CCR cave - there is no cavern, intro, full, stage, etc which is why I asked.
TDI has CCR cavern/intro cave classes.

All of my cave/tech training has been on CCR.

TDI has CCR cavern/intro cave classes.

All of my cave/tech training has been on CCR.
Huh?
How or why would anyone do CCR cavern? What do you bring for BO a 40 and call it good? Assuming 130ft max total distance from the surface - or maybe that limit doesnt apply for CCR Cavern?

Huh?
How or why would anyone do CCR cavern? What do you bring for BO a 40 and call it good? Assuming 130ft max total distance from the surface - or maybe that limit doesnt apply for CCR Cavern?
Its for those that havent/dont want to do OC cave stuff.

It is not with any agency that I am aware and not with NAUI. CCR Cave has to abide by the same depth limits as OC cave and while you can conduct trimix in the Nest with full cave divers, the reverse does not apply.

It is not with any agency that I am aware and not with NAUI. CCR Cave has to abide by the same depth limits as OC cave and while you can conduct trimix in the Nest with full cave divers, the reverse does not apply.
Well at least some instructors are supposedly doing 6 day zero to hero cave CCR and either course dives or dives immediately afterwards in Eagle's - which seems to be a standards violation if not in practice than definitely in spirit.

If you're offered such "training" as a student, typically with copious amounts of flattery by the instructor, it's because your instructor is bored and would rather break standards than build your experience in a progressive manner. You've been shortchanged.

This is why we can't have nice things. Police your own, FL people.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom