CC Red Filter with or without Lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trevalo

Registered
Reaction score
Most info gleaned from internet/forums, etc advises that video lights should NOT be used whilst a red filter is in place... fair enough. However, I've also seen it mention here and there for video lights to be used in conjunction with a red filter. My Backscatter Flip 3.1 will arrive any day now. Their website and comparison test videos show using the Flip at different depths, with/without filter, and with/without lights. It looks to me the colors are fine with filter + lights. So I am a bit confused. I'm relatively new to UW photo/video so I'm probably misunderstanding/misinterpreting something. Any comments or advise?

Of course, I will do my own trial and error testing during the next dive trip, but it would be nice to get pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance! And happy holidays!

In theory, yes, red filter + light will make the video a bit more red, but it applies only if you are shooting at something that is near the cam (lets say within 50cm) because that's where the strongest of the light is staying at. The result is still a "normal red" -- it would look as if you are using a yellow/red torch instead of white.

Otherwise, the red filter should stay as long underwater as you are just filming the whole view/environment at a distant. Still, even at close range, it's not really a bother, as you also pointed out.

Back
Top Bottom