Caymans at a crossroads on mega cruise ships?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found the following story in the cayman compass interesting and informative. Are ‘Cruisezilla’ ships crucial for the Cayman Islands?

We all have our opinions but hopefully at the end of the day it is up to the island to decide. I was left somewhat hopeful that a decision will be made that the island might be better off not catering to the mega cruise ships

This is the hot topic these days. I've heard both sides of this issue and both proponents and opponents make thoughtful points. The island is in a tough position. One way or the other, they will minimally have to build a new cargo terminal at some point.

OK this may be cynical, but the island doesn't decide. It's the politicians that do.

Caymanians are the only ones that allow them to vote, but after that the big money concerns start weighing in and "influencing" the politicians. So "the will of the people" often doesn't make it to reality. Add to that all the people that live on the island and have zero say - expats and other PR folk.

There was a referendum a while back and the island voted not to go ahead with expanding the cruise facilities. What happens? They wait a little and then do another referendum. Presumably they will keep doing one until they get the answer they want....

The money-maker for the government on this is the fee that they charge every cruise line for however many passengers are on the ship, whether or not they com ashore. Cruise visitors don't tend to spend anywhere near as much money as overnight visitors that will support many local businesses (which go out for a meal when you have unlimited food on board, for example)?

I really hope that the government gets the firm message once again that they are better off if they do not expand the cruise market.

Do residents get to vote in referendums such as the one discussed in the story?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom