Cayman trip--need some advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UCFDiver85

Registered
Reaction score
First off, let me say that I will be going with my family as the only diver. Needless to say I will need to either be paired up or go with a dive master. Is this ever a problem?

Secondly...which charter to choose? I'd prefer a charter in which no more than 8 divers go at once...I've had it with cattle charters. Paying more money for it is fine by me....it's worth it. So, any names for charters would be helpful.

Where to dive? What side of the island do you prefer, and why?

I'll be there 5 days...so should I schedule 2 dive trips and do one dive at eden rock, or schedule 3 trips? I've been to Cayman many times snorkleing, but this will be my first time diving. I am really looking forward to it.

Any input from fellow divers would be much appreciated, as well as any other tips you can provide. I'm looking forward to this trip!

Thanks guy.

UCFDiver85 once bubbled...
First off, let me say that I will be going with my family as the only diver. Needless to say I will need to either be paired up or go with a dive master. Is this ever a problem?
Not likely to be a problem on a boat charter. You might be hanging around a shore sites for a while before you can find someone willing to pair up with you.

Secondly...which charter to choose? I'd prefer a charter in which no more than 8 divers go at once...I've had it with cattle charters. Paying more money for it is fine by me....it's worth it. So, any names for charters would be helpful.
Your requirements greatly limit your choice. Try Danny at Off the Wall, Casey at Neptune's Divers, Jason at Ambassador Divers, or Andy at Divers Down.

Where to dive? What side of the island do you prefer, and why?
East End is where the coral is at its healthiest. IMHO, it's the best that Grand Cayman has to offer. Only three operators this end of the island, none of whom will guarantee your 8 divers max limit without a charter. Ocean Frontiers leaves out from the Gun Bay area. Cayman Dive Lodge departs from East End village near Little Hurleys. Tortuga Divers operates from Morritt's Tortuga Club in Colliers. In my experience working at Tortuga, your are most likely to find lighter boat loads on the weekends in East End.

I'll be there 5 days...so should I schedule 2 dive trips and do one dive at eden rock, or schedule 3 trips? I've been to Cayman many times snorkleing, but this will be my first time diving. I am really looking forward to it.

Any input from fellow divers would be much appreciated, as well as any other tips you can provide. I'm looking forward to this trip!

Thanks guy.
Three trips might get you a package rate if it's with one operator. Worth asking. You might can sneak away for an afternoon shore dive.

Remember that you are coming over the American Thanksgiving week. It is busy, and you might have difficulty booking dives on a walk up basis. Get on the phone or email today.

Thank you for the information, it's greatly appreciated! I will definitly try to look into the charters you mentioned, and call today.

BTW- sorry I didn't mention this earlier, we are going Dec 28-Jan 2. It actually might be even more busy, but I don't know. Either way, I'm going to stat booking now.

depends on what you want...

busy atmosphere with plenty of places to eat shop and drink:
stay some where on the hell-a-shish 7 mile beach.

very quiet, peaceful, and less touristy...more spread out:
definitely stay on the east end. about 40 minutes from 7 mile.

best charter:
www.absolutedivers.com with mark. he's the best and knows the area like the back of his hand. he can hook you up if you don't mind spending the money. he's very fare and will do his best to work with your schedule. he's got his little whaler on the 7 mile beach side, and his bigger boat can meet you at rum point dock, or where ever is half way for the both of you :D

some of those establishments that were mentioned earlier aren't as much willing to work with you unless you're staying at their place. you could get lucky though, if they aren't that busy.

good luck and have a great time...can't go wrong really, where ever you go...since you're drag'n the rest of the family with you and you're the only diver. you'll probably be gone for 3/4s of a day for a 2 or 3 dive trip.

hope you're renting a car, so you can get around to where you need to be for diving purposes.

I was in GC in August and stayed on the East End. Much quieter and laid back, but should probably rent a car to get to town or eat at places other than your resort.

Diving was excellent on the east end. I dove with both Ocean Frontiers and Tortugas Divers. Both were some of the best operators I've been with. It seems the operators enforced a max of 10-12 divers, but with two divemasters it was very safe. Very friendly, helpful, interesting, experienced and fun divemasters. Several divers didn't have buddies with them, but would either team up on the boat or stay with the divemaster. They allowed us to dive our computers and air, so we didn't have to make mass ascents.

I stayed at the Reef Resort, and Morritts is next door. You could dive with either Ocean Frontiers or Tortugas which are on site of each resort respectively. Either operator can set you up with a stingray city dive which should definitely be done (at least once)

Thanks for everyon'es input. My parents booked us for Comfort Suites on 7 mile beach. Right now I narrowed it down to Don Foster's and Neptune's divers. Don Fosters I've heard is a great operation, AND it operates right from my hotel which would be a big plus. I'm attracted to Neptune's rule of only 8 divers at a time though, and the informaton they've given me seems to be very good. Anyone have any advice on which one to pick from the 2? Right now Fosters is getting a little more of my vote since it will be right at my hotel.

I've been to the Cayman's a number of times and last time, staying at the Marriot and Treasure Island. Dove with a number of operators. Best diving I have found is on the East End. Suggest you give Ocean Frontiers a call as they will pick you up at your hotel and bring you back. Its about a 45 minute ride and you get to see some of the island as well. Typcially this is for morning dives only and you back at your hotel by 12:30-1. If you use the shop at your hotel then suggest you spend at least one morning at the East End.

Kev

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom