Cayman Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bleach

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All...

We have decided to make our spring trip to the sun Little Cayman and Cayman Brac, one week each.

Has anyone stayed at Paradise Villas or Sunset Beach Condos on L.C.? They seem to be about the best priced. I've seen on this board a recommendation to go with the meal plans at the resorts, any one want to second that?

We think we want to stay at Divi Tiera on C.B. Is the meal plan as good of an idea here, or are there more restaurants?

Do either of the Islands have dive shops that have smaller boats? Nitrox?

Thanks in advance
Brian in AK :ice:

Actually, I think there's only one restaraunt on the island (I could be wrong). It's the Hungry Iguana. If you want to go cheap, McCoy's Lodge is the cheapest, although it is spartan. I'ld go back in a heartbeat. It's all inclusive, meals are nothing fancy, but they have a good cook. It's a very quiet place, and the staff is friendly. We had several dive trips where we were the only divers, and some with just one other group. You eat meals family-style so you get to know the other guests. If you want fancy, there are other all inclusives that are still not a bad deal. I think I've seen some good recommends for the Southern Cross Club and the Beach Resort. I'm jealous!

We stayed at the Divi on Bonaire last December. This December we'll be at the Divi on Cayman Brac. Be happy to post afterwards.

-dd

Because this is our second stay with the Divi, they gave us a free upgrade.

Scuba Barbie:

We will be at the Divi, Cayman Brac 12/5 - 12/12.
I presume you will be diving with Divi.
See you there.

(Look for the big guy wearing the "Dive Maui" cap, w/the Strawberry Blond wife/dive buddy).

We own a Divi in Aruba, and have had great success trading into the other Divi Resorts. Dove @ Bonaire last year. Going to Divi Barbados in February.

Look forward to meeting you at the Brac. 11 days and counting!

zzzScuba:
Scuba Barbie:

We will be at the Divi, Cayman Brac 12/5 - 12/12.
I presume you will be diving with Divi.
See you there.

(Look for the big guy wearing the "Dive Maui" cap, w/the Strawberry Blond wife/dive buddy).

We own a Divi in Aruba, and have had great success trading into the other Divi Resorts. Dove @ Bonaire last year. Going to Divi Barbados in February.

Look forward to meeting you at the Brac. 11 days and counting!

My husband and I will be the ones with the Texas accents..... 230 hours and counting!

bleach:
Hi All...

We have decided to make our spring trip to the sun Little Cayman and Cayman Brac, one week each.

Has anyone stayed at Paradise Villas or Sunset Beach Condos on L.C.? They seem to be about the best priced. I've seen on this board a recommendation to go with the meal plans at the resorts, any one want to second that?

We think we want to stay at Divi Tiera on C.B. Is the meal plan as good of an idea here, or are there more restaurants?

Do either of the Islands have dive shops that have smaller boats? Nitrox?

Thanks in advance
Brian in AK :ice:
Let me give you some facts, Ma'am. Just facts.

Right now, Paradise Villas doesn't have a boat working. They have their pontoon boat in the water, but without working engines. I have no idea when they will be able to get engines for it, either. You would have to ask Marc, but I don't think it's going to be any time soon. Meanwhile, their divers are going out with Little Cayman Beach Resort.

Likewise, Sea-Esta (the Conch Club Divers boat) is dead in the water. It's missing a starter motor for one engine. The word is that a new starter motor is on the way. Meanwhile, Conch Club is chartering one of our boats...when it's available. Otherwise, their divers just get mixed in with the LCBR divers.

By "Sunset House" I think you mean one of the condominium units next door to me, but am not sure. It's a 4 unit building, and one of the units is owned by some people in the UK who rent it out. It's a nice unit...but you will need a way to get back and forth between there and "the store"--about 1.5 miles. And how are you going to go diving? If you're thinking Paradise Divers, see the first paragraph above.

As far as Nitrox goes, the only source on Little Cayman is LCBR. I spent the day today doing Nitrox fills, so can tell you we are supplying Nitrox for everybody else on the island as well as for our own divers.

Regarding boat size, we are running about 12 divers/boat this week and next. LCBR has three boats (all Newton 42's) which can take a maximum of 20 divers each. Last week we did have all three filled each day with 20 divers, and it was a blast. The group on my boat was mostly from the Pittsburgh area, and they were a super fun bunch to dive with. At first I was a bit worried about 20 being too crowded, but this was such a fun bunch to go out with that I think everybody agreed that any less wouldn't have been nearly as nice! We had 3 DM's on each boat, so the divers were able to get into the water and back out again with very little waiting.

Bruce
Little Cayman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom