Cayman Police Helicopter and Fishing Boat Rescue Divers in Trouble

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

interesting that at that site current can take you out. My experience at Lighthouse, Turtle Reef and Hepps is that when there is current it runs parallel to the shore and I had never been concerned about a current running out away from the shore. I have no experience shore diving at BAs.

Thanks !

Any other info ?

I've seen a few other news reports like the ones at the links below, but there's been no more information about the specifics of the issues faced by the divers. Only that they were not very far from shore but trapped and exhausted from fighting the current. I wonder who spotted them and realized that they were in trouble and sounded the alarm?

The only other details I've read is that the name of the fishing boat that picked up 3 of the divers is the Sandman. Also the police were not able to communicate with the fishing boat via marine radio they had to use a Skyshout PA system and hand gestures to ask for their assistance and explain what was needed.

And the waverunner driver had drifted quite far away from his point of entry by the time he was found, he really was lucky.

I had also forgotten how quickly darkness falls in the tropics, but apparently that was an issue of concern as it was early evening when the calls came in - the video below urges individuals going out on the water to carry a signaling device, like a flashlight.

RCIPS urges caution on the sea after weekend water rescues, thanks civilians for their help

https://caymannewsservice.com/2018/07/civilians-assist-chopper-in-nw-point-rescues/

http://www.ieyenews.com/wordpress/cayman-islands-police-helicopter-and-civilians-execute-marine-rescues-in-two-separate-incidents-29-july/

Last edited:
interesting that at that site current can take you out. My experience at Lighthouse, Turtle Reef and Hepps is that when there is current it runs parallel to the shore and I had never been concerned about a current running out away from the shore. I have no experience shore diving at BAs.

I have dived Bonnie's Arch but only as a boat dive - never as a shore dive, I remember because the arch structure is quite distinctive. It's a nice site, but that was about 10 years ago; we haven't been there recently.

Last edited:
Maybe this map will help.

The current does parallel the coast. The issue is Bonnie's arch is right on a corner.

When there is current at LHP or Macabuca (blue arrow) it runs in the blue direction. So if you mis-judge the current, worst case is it pushes you further along the shore. The current abates as you get closer to the ironshore, so you could surface swim back in some cases, or at least climb up the ironshore in a worst-case.

When there is current at Bonnie's (pink arrow) the current will not take a right hand turn and follow the reef, it goes straight and blows you out to sea. As Bonnies is the very last dive site on that corner, you don't have much room for error if you mis-judge the current.

Google_Maps.png

The current does parallel the coast. The issue is Bonnie's arch is right on a corner.

When there is current at LHP or Macabuca (blue arrow) it runs in the blue direction. So if you mis-judge the current, worst case is it pushes you further along the shore. The current abates as you get closer to the ironshore, so you could surface swim back in some cases, or at least climb up the ironshore in a worst-case.

When there is current at Bonnie's (pink arrow) the current will not take a right hand turn and follow the reef, it goes straight and blows you out to sea. As Bonnies is the very last dive site on that corner, you don't have much room for error if you mis-judge the current.

View attachment 472522

Thanks for the explanation and graphics!

Having dived at BA many times, I can attest to the currents and especially how they affect getting back to the ladder on the concrete wall. The currents will and do change in what seems like the spur of the moment. Any re-entry to a rocky shoreline in surf involves good timing and awareness of the current. BA can be unpredictable at times.
It's a very convenient dive if you are staying at the BA condos.

View attachment 472522
We did a bunch of shore dives between Lighthouse point and Hepps wall on our last trip, thanks for the map it is great info to know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom