Cayman Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your feedback on hurricanes and "summer shutdown"! Were planning to go end of November, maybe onto early December, so everything should be open again (but overlapping with Thanksgiving break for Americans, so could be busy?).
Glad to see the Cayman Islands seem to avoid the worst of the hurricanes, let's hope I get lucky

In case the weather doesn't permit to go diving (too windy /choppy... or hurricane forming further on the Eastern Caribbean ) I guess I'll have more possibilities to do things on CB than LC, right?

Thanks for all the links, they 're really useful (also the ones posted on a different thread about CB)...

@Helice'N'co , we have spent several Thanksgivings in Grand Cayman. (Family avoidance technique) While early-mid November weather can be a little unsettled, we have never had any real issues. As a bonus, they like to get the decorations up early for Christmas and that’s a treat to see. I think that its a great time to go. @KathyV , however, will use any excuse to go the Caymans :wink:

Last edited:
@scubadada: We like walking/hiking and casual cycling (for sightseeing purposes) , that's why I said CB was probably better in than sense. It should be good for a bit of bird photography as well on both islands.

@Dish: Good to hear we should be late enough not to have real issues with hurricanes ;-)

Cayman didn't get trashed by hurricanes this season like other places, but did get affected. I saw pictures and videos of some pretty snarkey conditions, and the mangled West Bay dock. It doesn't take a direct hit by an Ivan to screw things up some. Heck, a hurricane heading for Miami will screw up lots of peoples trips to the Caribbean wherever they are going.

Late November should be pretty safe from hurricanes, though you never know anymore. Not necessarily safe from yucky early winter weather, but could be great.

Cayman didn't get trashed by hurricanes this season like other places, but did get affected. I saw pictures and videos of some pretty snarkey conditions, and the mangled West Bay dock. It doesn't take a direct hit by an Ivan to screw things up some. Heck, a hurricane heading for Miami will screw up lots of peoples trips to the Caribbean wherever they are going.

Late November should be pretty safe from hurricanes, though you never know anymore. Not necessarily safe from yucky early winter weather, but could be great.

That's a good point. Risk of a hurricane hitting whilst you are on the island is fairly small but in any event manageable. Hurricane hovering around on a day you are due to fly to or from the Caribbean can be a major disruption.

That's a good point. Risk of a hurricane hitting whilst you are on the island is fairly small but in any event manageable. Hurricane hovering around on a day you are due to fly to or from the Caribbean can be a major disruption.
Of course, we were on Grand Cayman at the end of August, 2004, just a week before Ivan. Our timing was OK, not so much for many others

Of course, we were on Grand Cayman at the end of August, 2004, just a week before Ivan. Our timing was OK, not so much for many others

We were on Brac just a week before Paloma hit and caused so much devastation. I remember one time in Cozumel, I was talking to the cab driver and I mentioned that we have been traveling to the Caribbean in the fall for many years and had never been hit by a hurricane. He just looked at me and said "You wait, you will!" and he spoke with certainty and the voice of experience.

Last edited:
...Were planning to go end of November, maybe onto early December, so everything should be open again (but overlapping with Thanksgiving break for Americans, so could be busy?...

The American Thanksgiving holiday might be a busier week in an otherwise quiet month.

Be aware that the few dive resorts on Little Cayman tend to book up faster than dive resorts at some other Cayman locations because of the popularity of the Bloody Bay Wall. Also, even when you can find available lodgings on LC, it can sometimes be difficult to find flights from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman on the dates that you want.

The Little Cayman airport is small and unlighted, it can only accept smaller propeller planes, like Twin Otters, and only during the daylight hours. The Cayman Brac airport is larger and it receives flights on larger turboprops and even a few jets, as well as the smaller propeller planes, so you have a better chance of finding flights and lodgings on Brac if you delay making your reservations.

The days are short in early winter so the flying time to LC will be limited. If you've decided that you want to go to Little Cayman in late November/early December then you should probably make your hotel and flight reservations soon.

Last edited:
We were on Cayman East End for Hurricane Ernesto Aug 2012. The center wasn't that close but there was definitely no diving happening for a couple days. Conditions aside, they were afraid they'd damage boats if they attempted to bring them to the dock. Was kind of cool to see though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom