Cayman Island Accomodations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are contemplating going there late February with a side trip to Little Cayman and wondered where would be the best place to stay. We went 7 years ago for our 20th anniversary and stayed at a high end hotel which was not very conducive to diving as much as we could everyday. Also, since we've never been to LC we would like to have some recomendations as well. We know there has been hurricane damage but are willing to deal with it.
Thanks

grouda:
We are contemplating going there late February with a side trip to Little Cayman and wondered where would be the best place to stay. We went 7 years ago for our 20th anniversary and stayed at a high end hotel which was not very conducive to diving as much as we could everyday. Also, since we've never been to LC we would like to have some recomendations as well. We know there has been hurricane damage but are willing to deal with it.
Thanks

Welcome to the board! Little Cayman has a few places to stay. I've stayed at Little Cayman Beach Resort and found that I was quite happy there. The food was excellent as was the diving. If you are into condos there are some just west of LCBR, you can use the dive facilities from LCBR. There are no high end hotels, there are only dive orientated hotels or resorts. Little Cayman is not like Grand Cayman. LC is quiet, there is no traffic, not much beach and has few people. Although we find that we really can enjoy GC, for us the best is small intimate places like Little Cayman

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Cobalt Coast is a very nice dive-oriented hotel in a more quiet area of Grand Cayman. DiveTech is there and you can shore dive right there if conditions cooperate, though that might be iffy in Feb. But they have another shop at Turtle Reef where you can shore dive as well. Their boats leave from a couple places depending on conditions and where they're going, they drive you to whichever dock.

On Little Cayman we have always stayed at LCBR which we like a lot. I've thought about checking out one of the other places but LCBR seems to be the best match for us so we keep going back there.

In addition to Dive Tech, pls check out www.oceanfrontiers.com on the East End.... quiet end of the island, great diving, awesome, friendly operation with condos onsite. After many repeat visits, I don't go anywhere else anymore on GC.

another vote for Ocean Froniters..... we stayed at the Reef Resort.....great people great beach and wonderful diving

I would echo the recommendation for Dive Tech/Cobalt Coast on the north end of Grand Cayman. The lodging and food at Cobalt Coast is outstanding and you can't be Dive Tech for a great dive operation. As was mentioned, you can do free shore diving at both their Cobalt Coast and Turtle Reef locations. Also, there is an underwater scooter guided dive from Cobalt Coast to Turtle Reef which is a blast.

As far as Little Cayman goes, I just got back from Little Cayman Beach Resort about three weeks ago. Everything about the place was fantastic. The rooms, the meals (Chef Tucker!!!), the hotel/dive staff, boats, etc. were all outstanding. I would highly recommend them. Remember, however, for Little Cayman the weight allowance on baggage is 55 pounds TOTAL, not the usual 50-70 pounds per bag. They charge 50 cents per pound overage.

Have a great trip!!!

grouda:
We are contemplating going there late February with a side trip to Little Cayman and wondered where would be the best place to stay....since we've never been to LC we would like to have some recomendations as well. We know there has been hurricane damage but are willing to deal with it.

Hurricane damage first.

In short, all of the Little Cayman operations are back up and running, although not necessarily back up to 100% of what they were at before. For example, while everyone had their docks taken out, the LCBR also had to rebuild one wall of their diveshop, and Southern Cross lost a couple of bungelow's.

(BTW, here's the status of LCBR's rebuilt dock from ~20 days ago):

http://www.huntzinger.com/photo/2004/little_cayman/lcbr_dock(11-24-04).jpg

There was some other storm damage on Little Cayman, mostly limited to low-lying homes along the southside road (and the road too). Most of the dive sites are essentially untouched, meaning that if you didn't intimately know the divesite beforehand, you'd not notice the difference. I did get one trustworthy report saying that some of the shallow southside reefs got "blasted", but didn't get to see these firsthand to confirm. I have done a dive on the Soto Trader since Ivan and yes, the bridge is gone, but again, if you didn't see it "before", you'd probably not realize that its a very recent change.

FWIW, this general summary also applies to Cayman Brac too.

On resorts recommendations, it depends a lot on the client.

For example, as Little Cayman's local "big hotel", the LCBR is the obvious and "safe" choice, and so it naturally tends to attract that kind of client, as well as those who wants a daily afternoon dive, as well as those that seemingly spend every afternoon holding down the bar...YMMV.

The primary alternative are the dive "camps" (actually bungelow clusters) of Sothern Cross, Priate's Point and Sam McCoy's, which are more rustic, often more roomy, down-to-earth, and usually the better value (IMO, LCBR is high). But being smaller resorts, they can sometimes be clickish, particularly if half the guests are returning clients who already know each other, or if you have that one "jerk" (eg, if you're a jerk, please go to the bigger LCBR instead :), but don't let this dissuade you, especially if you're a seasoned traveller who can handle this kind of stuff. IMO, the staff is often more personable, too, and they often pull double-duty serving meals as well as working on the diveboat, etc, which lets you connect better.

The final choice are condo's and private homes, where you have to do your own cooking, and what you save in costs here, you'll probably spend in transporation costs. After all is said and done, a jeep rental from Perry McLaughlin costs around US$80/day.

Insofar as trying to say what's best for you, its hard to make a good recommendation without knowing you better and what your preferences are. My personal advice would be that if you prefer B&B's over hotels and don't need to drink to have fun, then I'd suggest learning more about SS, PP or Sam's before deciding.

-hh

PS: Make sure to pick up the "So. you want to live on a Small Island..." book when you're on Little Cayman, or see URL http://www.islandslife.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom