Cayman customs getting easier and faster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. Thank goodness. In trips in the last month or so we all had to go on the Red Line which there were lots of. We didn't like the new trend especially as we just carry on for quick trips. I guess it was just in preparation for all the new green lines:) We are delighted. On the flip side rumor has it that they are going to be more watchful with regard to coolers of food, packaging requirements on foodstuffs, etc. We couldn't be happier as lining up every couple of weeks for nothing was a bit of hassle. In addition the number of people that fly without pens to fill out the forms is crazy. Now if we could just get that attended to.

I agree - this is a great move. We often bring down small stuff for the condo and filling the form out, and then having to go pay the few dollars duty on it just seemed like a lot of expensive bureaucracy for very little gain.

Great move. Bringing down any food required you to wait in yet another line to see a customs officer only to be waived through once you told them it was basic groceries from the US.

The food rule did not change.

If you bring down food, you have to get in the Declare lane so that they can inspect the food, if they so decide.

Same thing for things for your condo. The limit for non-residents is still zero. Whatever was subject to duty before is still subject to duty.

The only thing they really did was eliminate the need to fill out the form if you did not have food, alcohol or tobacco products over the limit, or you don't have anything that will stay on island. Most travelers fit in that category.

I think the whole food rule is going to create a lot of confusion. You know that you have nothing that is non-allowable, but they don't know that until they look. I think those going in the nothing to declare lane with food will be looked at closely and told to not do that in the future.

Of course, I have been wrong before!!

Same thing for things for your condo. The limit for non-residents is still zero. Whatever was subject to duty before is still subject to duty.
OK, then I am confused. Why the $350 per person ($700 per family) limit? I saw nothing in that article about residents or non-residents, either.

customs will no longer require a goods declaration form for inbound travelers as long as those travelers do not exceed the $350 allowance for bringing goods into the country.

If arriving passengers are bringing in more than $350 of dutiable goods ($700 for families), they will still be required to fill out goods declarations and pay duty as normal

It is terribly confusing living here so many people just declare everything so it doesn’t ultimately affect future immigration possibilities. We were allowed to ship household items that we used for at least six months after obtaining a permit to live here for a limited period. Otherwise we are expected to pay duty on household goods whether we ship them or carry them to the island. Visitors are supposed to be allowed to bring items for personal use while they are here. Condo owners who are not residents seem to fall between the cracks. The big ? Is caused by the phrase we hear all the time that it is up to the Customs Agents discretion. If you google customs allowance for The Cayman Islands you will find quite a few gray areas We were visitors, then visitors with a condo and now here. It was never really clear but for folks coming down on a week or so holiday, it doesn’t really matter.

The $350 and $700 exemptions are for residents.

I will agree that it appears that the law and policy are extremely confusing.

Actually it is very simple.

You need to think of it this way. The duty allowance for visitors is zero. Zero as in everything is subject to duty. A visitor has no exemption from duty except those items specifically listed in the law. Everything is taxable except those items specifically exempt under the law.

You are allowed to bring in a certain amount of tobacco and alcohol duty free as exempted under the law.

The undefined policy is you are allowed to bring in a reasonable amount of personal items that you can reasonably consume during your visit. That decision is solely at the discretion of the particular Customs Officer you encounter. Sunscreen, food, personal items like toothpaste, deodorant and shampoo are examples of personal items.

Anything a visitor brings to leave (in a condo you own or otherwise, gifts included) is subject to duty. No exceptions under the law.

My understanding is that you generally do not get questioned over small dollar amounts. I don't think they want to hassle with small dollar amounts of duty. (As as I say that, I assume I will get grilled over a dollar on my next visit.)

If you can relate it to the income tax in the US. In one simple section, the Internal Revenue Code states that income from whatever source is taxable. The rest of the code defines exceptions to that rule and deductions from income.

Finally, take the example of sales tax. All sales of tangible products are subject to sales tax unless otherwise exempted.

Don't think of things in the other direction, meaning nothing is taxable unless specified as taxable. That type thinking is backwards and wrong.

Sorry to take up some much of your time on such a long answer, but I hope it helps you understand the theory behind the imposition of the duty.

I bring stuff for the condo all the time never been bothered once I had 26 light bulbs.....no I'm not nuts.......this was before you could buy the "new" energy efficient super duper bulbs ....and we all know how expensive electricity on island.....the Customs guy looked at me counted the bulbs and just laughed and waved me through.....maybe he though I was nuts.

I bring stuff for the condo all the time never been bothered once I had 26 light bulbs.....no I'm not nuts.......this was before you could buy the "new" energy efficient super duper bulbs ....and we all know how expensive electricity on island.....the Customs guy looked at me counted the bulbs and just laughed and waved me through.....maybe he though I was nuts.

It has been kind of a crap shoot. We have brought a lot of stuff for our condo with no issue, yet last year my wife brought 4 salad bowls worth maybe $25 and they had a 20 minute meeting to figure out what to do. We got charged about $3 duty. Since we are usually traveling with our dog, they typically spend more time going through his paperwork that focusing on us - the perfect distraction. And he's very cute, so that helps :)

Regarding food, they are pretty much focusing on unprocessed food (e.g., raw meat, veggies, fruit). Last time I declared a box of cookies and the customs agent laughed.

But with the new procedures, they are basically saying they should not be "nickle and diming" tourists anymore. Should be a more positive experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom