Cayman Brac, Grenada, Dominica, ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My dive buddy and I are looking for a Carib getaway. Due to Covids our Indo trip has been postponed and looks like we won't get there until this winter at the earliest.

We have both been to several places in the Caribbean. No LOB's are available during our time so for me that rules out Belize (would be my top Carib LOB trip) - we did Cayman Aggressor on our last trip but it's been a while. We both have been diving for years and logged hundreds of dives. We are looking for 'moderate' budget - under $2K (excl flights, incl ~3dives/day) would be nice - we don't need luxury... we just want to be warm and wet and see great diving.

Travel dates are roughly May 26->June 3

Neither of us have been to Dominica or Grenada - these came recommended. Flights are a little more (me from DC area, and her from SoCal), but overall cost I think will be lower.

Anyone been to Grenada and/or Dominica and can comment? Would we be advised to rent a car there?? Seems like the islands 'things to do' are more spread out and getting around would be useful.

If we did Cayman Brac we would likley do a private VRBO/Airbnb... which seems available and in-budget... tho not sure how easy it would be to get around for meals.

TIA! J

I think Brac Reef Resort would come in at about $2000 or less per diver in low season, AI. Never been to Grenada or Dominica.

I think Brac Reef Resort would come in at about $2000 or less per diver in low season, AI. Never been to Grenada or Dominica.
They don't have availability during that time. I do think overall Grenada or Dominica would be cheaper... maybe ~25%.

Just came back from a trip to Grenada. Its a beautiful island with plenty of topside activities. Renting the car can be very beneficial provided you are a good driver and can drive on the other side. Roads are very narrow and full of turns. We rented a scooter and were happy. I thought diving was ok. I believe Cayman brac will be better for diving. While Grenada might be better for topside. Just wrote a review for Grenada dive trip. Let me know if you have any particular questions.

My dive buddy and I are looking for a Carib getaway. Due to Covids our Indo trip has been postponed and looks like we won't get there until this winter at the earliest.

We have both been to several places in the Caribbean. No LOB's are available during our time so for me that rules out Belize (would be my top Carib LOB trip) - we did Cayman Aggressor on our last trip but it's been a while. We both have been diving for years and logged hundreds of dives. We are looking for 'moderate' budget - under $2K (excl flights, incl ~3dives/day) would be nice - we don't need luxury... we just want to be warm and wet and see great diving.

Travel dates are roughly May 26->June 3

Neither of us have been to Dominica or Grenada - these came recommended. Flights are a little more (me from DC area, and her from SoCal), but overall cost I think will be lower.

Anyone been to Grenada and/or Dominica and can comment? Would we be advised to rent a car there?? Seems like the islands 'things to do' are more spread out and getting around would be useful.

If we did Cayman Brac we would likley do a private VRBO/Airbnb... which seems available and in-budget... tho not sure how easy it would be to get around for meals.

TIA! J
Quite a few little restaurants scattered around the Brac but getting a rental car would be required. Besides you would want one to be able to do all the shore diving. The Brac is a very, very laid back place so if you enjoy/need a lot of topside hoopla it might be best to go elsewhere. DM me if you have any questions about the place and good luck with your search. Be safe

Haven't been myself, but I keep some old thread links handy in case Dominica ever gets on my radar:

Discussions of Dominica -
Dominica…everything I should know but don’t - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...minica-everything-i-should-know-but-dont.html
I was surprised by how nice the diving was in Dominica. Excellent! - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/le...rised-how-nice-diving-dominica-excellent.html
Dominica Recommendations? - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/494111-dominica-recommendations.html

That assumes you're talking about the real Dominica, not the Dominican Republic.

How long would it take you to get to and from Dominica? Years ago travel time looked to be an issue, but sometimes things change.

Haven't been myself, but I keep some old thread links handy in case Dominica ever gets on my radar:

Discussions of Dominica -
Dominica…everything I should know but don’t - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...minica-everything-i-should-know-but-dont.html
I was surprised by how nice the diving was in Dominica. Excellent! - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/le...rised-how-nice-diving-dominica-excellent.html
Dominica Recommendations? - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/494111-dominica-recommendations.html

That assumes you're talking about the real Dominica, not the Dominican Republic.

How long would it take you to get to and from Dominica? Years ago travel time looked to be an issue, but sometimes things change.
Thanks for this info! Some older posts for sure, but useful. AA flys from MIA to DOM so not too hard and not cheap but not ridiculous. Seems we are both leaning towards Dominica as something different and unique. And i will likely do an extended (~3mo) stay in Grenada in the next year or so for other reasons so I can experience the diving there later.

Just came back from a trip to Grenada. Its a beautiful island with plenty of topside activities. Renting the car can be very beneficial provided you are a good driver and can drive on the other side. Roads are very narrow and full of turns. We rented a scooter and were happy. I thought diving was ok. I believe Cayman brac will be better for diving. While Grenada might be better for topside. Just wrote a review for Grenada dive trip. Let me know if you have any particular questions.
Where did you stay/dive in Grenada ?
I’m deciding between eco dive at coyaba or aquanauts at true blue?

@Lerouxnyc we stayed at Royalton and our dive op was aquanauts. We had a great time. I have written a detailed review about aquanauts as well as the hotel. Please let me know if you have any question. Grenada is a beautiful place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom