Cayman air questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, one other question comes to mind (for now lol) I know they have US plugs but are they 2 prong or 3 prong?

Don't plan to carry a large carryon on to the plane over to LC

My wife and I are also going to LCBR for the first time and curious as to how small is small when it comes to the carry on for the Otters ... we keep our camera gear in one of the average size camera backpacks from Case Logic 7"deep x 11"wide x 17"tall - allowable?
Thanks
Brian

Thanks, one other question comes to mind (for now lol) I know they have US plugs but are they 2 prong or 3 prong?

3 prong. No adapters needed for US electronics.

---------- Post added February 5th, 2014 at 11:35 AM ----------

My wife and I are also going to LCBR for the first time and curious as to how small is small when it comes to the carry on for the Otters ... we keep our camera gear in one of the average size camera backpacks from Case Logic 7"deep x 11"wide x 17"tall - allowable?
Thanks
Brian

It isn't so much what they will or won't allow, as what will comfortably fit. I generally carry a medium sized backpack with my laptop and some other odds and ends. In a pinch I could cram it under the seat, but it would not be a very roomy fit to try to put my feet down there with it. My experience has been that the Otter is rarely completely full, and I usually end up with my bag on the floor in front of an empty seat or on the seat next to me. There is no stewardess to come through and tell you your bag is sticking out too much or anything like that, and I have never seen them tell somebody they couldn't take an item as a carryon.

Thanks
Brian

The Otters are extremely small and there is no carry-on luggage space at all. On the positive side, Cayman Airways accepted both my check-in bags, charging $13 excess baggage for the second 20 kg dive kit bag. The cabin is so small that adults have to bend over to walk and as there are no overhead luggage racks, the carry-on bags go between your legs. My hand luggage was at the limit of allowable measurements on regular planes but on the Otter, the CA staff put a 'Fragile' sticker on it and put it in the hold. No problems.

Also, if you are concerned about how such a carryon might be treated, instead of checking it at the gate, you can always carry it yourself right up until you are about to get on the plane, then hand it off to one of the airline folks by the plane. You can watch them stow it and it will likely be the last item into the hold and the first out. When you land in LC, you will be able to watch them take it out and if needed, ask them to be gentle with it.

Thanks for the advice ... forever until August! Brian

Cayman air did not blink at 3 bags @ 50 lbs each plus 2 carry ons. Little Cayman Beach resort is outstanding in every way. Water is warm @ 80-81 degrees. Winds no more than 8 mph so off to bloody bay wall side 3 times a day:D

Saw notice of winter storm warnings back home. Bwahahahaha, so sorry for my friends back home in the snow. I will try to post pics when I get to a real computer. Had nice posing nurse shark today. Diving matches or exceeds anything I've seen in the Caribbean. Still prefer the Pacific, just not the travel time.

thanks for all the great info folks. It has made planning this trip MUCH easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom