Cay Sal Liveaboard report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel

Reaction score
Sorry it has taken almost a week for me to get around to doing a report on my liveaboard trip to Cay Sal, but I have been swamped with work since back. Anyway, I must say first that this by far has to have been my favorite dive trip ever! They all are always wonderful, but this one, WOW!

Day 1: Saturday August 9, 2003, the journey begins. I am packed and ready to go to the LDS at 6am. My husband shuttled me there and helped me unload my gear and other luggage. (Having been with this group last year, I learned to bring extra drinks and snacks for the trip and to share) We were to depart at 8:30am for the 9 and half to 10 hour drive to WPB. After all 16 divers arrived, including the two vans and drivers, all introductions to the new divers joining and loading both trailers we were off. I rode in the van with the tv, and my friend that sets up these trips.
(her and her husband own the van) His brother drove the first leg of the trip, so we sat in the back and started watching a video of their trip to Bonaire this past June. Anyway, 12 hours later and 4 movies, several stops along the way. Bathroom breaks, gasing the vans and one blown out tire on the other trailer. That was fun, we all pulled over on I-95, the guys changed it with a spare in the trailer, added air from one of the tanks (Yes those tanks are good for more than people!) Once, in WPB we unloaded at the Riveria Marina onto the Gulfstream Eagle and got settled in. We had gone to WalMart prior to this and let everyone get those last minute items forgotten or just those they had to have. I bought a key chain, to use as a pull on my backpack a shark with the diver down flag. Which I promptly broke on the boat first time we were in rough water. I unpacked in my cabin, first time I got a bottom bunk on this boat. I was in the forward cabin, four bunks and three ladies. We had lots and lots of room. First time for that too! We had our briefing for the boat rules and watched another movie before heading off to sleep. 4am, engines started and we were off crossing to Bimini.

Day 2, Sunday August 10: Arrive in Bimini to clear customs and immigration. I woke up at 7:00am and went back to sleep we were still moving and saw no reason to get up. 8am couldn't sleep got up and had cereal in the salon. Only a few were stirring at that time. We pulled into Bimini, and the others all were up by then. Captain told us we could go ashore but to be back on board no later than 10am because we were leaving at 10:05am. So, off we went to see the Straw Market, might be the only time we will have to do any shopping.( Had to get a t-shirt from Bimini)
I did get two and went back to the boat. Time to get into my swim suit and get ready for first dive. Oh, no we had to ride another 3 hours before diving. Well, that meant lunch first. Okay so it is a long ride to get there! Dive number one: Victory Reef, this was a get familiar dive and to take some photos. Water temp. 84 degrees, Shallow dive, 45 feet, vis unlimited. The water was crystal clear, lots of marine life abounding. Saw two nurse sharks at different spots. Took a few good pictures too. I still have to download off camera. Total dive time 1:06 and I still had 1700psi when done. ( I used a HP 120 all week)
Dive 2: North Hog City, Another beautiful reef. Depth 64 ft. Vis unlimited. Air 3250 In. 1120 out. Seas were glassey calm. Took a picture of a rock beauty that is awesome. Will have to download that one to share. My spot on the boat is too, congested I was on the corner starboard side and there are three other divers there, plus the crew has rope on the deck with the ascent line. I had to move to other side of the boat, but that put me closer to my dive buddy and roommate.
Dive 3: Orange Cay, depth 60-70ft. Water temp 85degrees. Seas glassey calm. Vis unlimited. Air in 3200, Air out 1030. Current strong. Swimming into the current was no problem seemed okay, turn around to return to ascent line no problem. I calculated my ascent and safety stop to consider the current. Watched the boat position and began my ascent to ladder, don't know why but I just was not moving seemed like suspended animation boat ladder about 10ft away and I could not get to it. I descended and tried again from another angle. This was worse current pushed me farther back. Two divers ahead of me ascended and went up no problems and did not know I was behind having difficulty. I checked my air I still had 1500psi, so I was not concerned. Looking down I saw my buddy was still taking some pictures, I signaled to her and the other two divers she had stayed with. They came up, we did another safety stop. That made my second.
Thank goodness Kent was able to just hold my hand and with us both kicking I made the ladder. I was really tired though after all that. Air surprisingly was remaining at 1030psi, so I must not have been breathing all that hard.
Dive 4: I skipped. I was tired and decided to rest the evening out.

Day 3: Monday, August 11: Parrot Head Reef, Dpth 88feet. Bottom temp. 86 degrees. Seas calm. Vis unlimited. Bottom time 31minutes. Air in 3200, Air remaining 1030psi. Geared up and ready before my dive group leader, that is a first! We had a good dive, saw several beautiful sea fans and lots of parrot fish. Safety stop on ascent line was congested, so I took out my Buddy Line and used it to hold my 15ft stop. Everyone was amazed they all thought that was a cool idea. Thanks Walter!
Dive 2, Day 3: Nuzio's Reef: 97feet, Temp 84 degrees, BT 33minutes, Air In 3200, Out 1120. I am impressed my air consumption is great this trip. I think I could have done fine with my HP 100. But, most everyone was using the HP 120's so I thought I should. Another dive that I used the buddy line on the safety stop. I think that from now on on these dives I should if the line is full.
Lunch and surface interval time.
Dive 3, Day 3: Hog Heaven: 75ft, temp 85 degrees, BT 37minutes.
Air In 3200, Out 1030psi. Vis unlimited. Current moderate. Saw several hogfish, and snappers.
Dive 4, Day 3: Red Hole: Depth 41ft, Temp 86 degrees, BT 41min. Air in 3120, out 1500psi. A fun dive, missed our direction for the swim thru on the edge of the red hole. ( Actually a blue hole) Was disappointed that we went off the anchor line wrong, but the boat had swayed and shifted direction so we went to the right of the anchor line and should have gone left.
Day 4, Dive 1: Blue Hole Bahamas; depth 82ft, temp, 82degrees, BT 36min, Vis. unlimited. Air in 3200, out 960. Can't figure this air consumption... We did cover a large area of the tope of the hole. On entry 3 grey reef sharks were circling the side of the boat. We descended and they did not pay us any attention. You should have seen the lobsters at this site, WOW they are huge and everywhere. I got several pics, of them. Saw a huge hogfish too! Then we played with a large green moray, took some pictures, he was not real friendly, I thought he was coming after me at one point, maybe that is why my air went so fast. On the way back a small shark was trailing one of the divers, but never came in close.
A really fun dive.
Day 4, dive 2: Cay Sal Island; dpth 68 feet, temp 84, time 29min. Air 3100psi in, out 1000.
Day 4, dive 3. Set out had a headache.
Day 4, Wednesday August 13th, While anchored another dive boat off of our side reported they lost two divers, found one with the buddy floating behind him face down. Don't know anymore but that he was dead and tank was empty. I have not heard anything more on this. I don't know the name of the dive op or if they were a private boat. It has been kept hushed up.

Day 4, dive 4: Drift dive; What a beautiful drift along a wall. 97 feet. I totally enjoyed this dive. To save space I am going to be brief. We had to float 30min. waiting for boat. Boat had line from Zodiac caught in prop.
Day 5, August 14, We made 4 dives and headed into Bimini. Again all were similar in beauty. We did three drift dives and one anchor.
Spent the night in Bimini. Went into town visited two local establishments for drinks.
Day 6, August 15th, Dive 1, last dive. Hawks Bill Reef, Bimini. A really nice dive lost of fish and pictures again.
Time to go home though. Back on boat packed up gear, ate lunch and headed back to WPB. Arrived WPB 3pm, loaded up vans and headed home. Arrived home 2am Saturday morning.
A tired diver, but fully satisfied that had had a successful trip.

Sorry this became so long. But I had such a good time I wanted to share.

Very nice trip report Cindy! Sounds like you had a great time. Hope to see some pictures soon. How was the dive op? I guess you didn’t really have any problems with them or you would have mentioned it. Did you hear any new information about the lost divers?

Daryl

I have been on this boat three times before with this operator. Our dive shop are regulars with them. I have been on two short trips to West End and Cay Sal last year. By far I enjoyed this trip more than the others, but have always found the crew and their care to be excellent. They treat us like family, but that comes from the 15 plus years that our LDS has gone with them.

The food was substantial, and plentiful. I would not say it is gourmet by any means. The boat is not as rustic as Blackbeard but not Nekton or Peter Hughes either. More like Days Inn compared to Motel 6 or on the other end Marriott. There was plenty of room for gear and they were attentive to fill tanks immediately when returning to your station. The crew was knowledgeable and sometimes would dive with us and some times not. The second captain, is a DM and videographer, a really nice guy and he is extremely helpful. He knows alot about photography, gear repair etc.

No, I have not heard anymore about that other boat or the diver. Kind of funny, but the crew on our boat did say that it had happened before to that other boat and this did not look good for them. They also thought it would be kept very quiet. What a shame.

I plan to work on my pictures later this weekend and get them downloaded. I will post them at that time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom