Cavern Course at Bonne Terre Mine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings Travis B thee are more caves that what you think located north of FL but access to them can be more complicated.
There are caves in WI but access was not allowed because of the local bats were endangered.
Not sure if the DNR has released the access yet.

Southern IN, Tenn., GA., Kentucky, etc. you really have to research the area you wish to dive then find a group or club that will allow you to join them.
I know Missouri caves are easier to dive access wise but it would still be wise to hook up with a group / club for the first few dives.
The water temps will be more like we are used to for sure.

Good luck in north FL you will love the caves there and the water temps are awesome!
We have been doing quite the same here in IN looking for closer caves even if the vis is tougher and conditions a bit more challenging.
What we are running into is that the access issue is a major one.
People in the north are really hesitant to allow someone to go underground on their property.

I am trying as we speak to search out an entrance to a cave but it is like pulling teeth.
No one wants you to get hurt or worse on their property because of the liability BS here in the states.
It is a nightmare and waivers are not worth the paper they are written on many of the landowners know that.
If you are not a member of the CDF Cave Diving Forum seek out and join.
Vast amounts of information there on caves that you can dive.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Last edited:
i live a little north of you guys(Saskatchewan Canada), i am interested to know what cave systems are available in missouri, i have done bonne terre and it was neat but not a true cavern. i am making the trip to north florida in a few weeks and cant wait but i would like to know where i can get in some off season practice in the northern states.

Hi Travis B,

In Missouri, I've been to two caves, a cavern. We also have a decent mine to dive.

CannonBall is located under Lake Wapapello - near poplar bluff, MO. I dove there in Dec. Temp 55, Vis 25 ft, avg depth was about 40ft until you get back about 700ft - then a pit drops down to more than 280'. Due to the low visibility of the lake water - there is not really a cavern zone.

Roubidoux Springs in located near Waynesville, MO. It has a decent cavern zone. I haven't yet explored past the reaper sign. Temp in November was 57 degrees. Depth at reaper sign ~ 46 ft. Vis 15 ft. This system goes thousands of feet back under the town - if your full cave / deco certified.

Bennett Springs is located near Lebonon, MO. It's open to divers from November through March. Really a nice cavern dive. The flow is such at the first restriction that it genereally is impossible to go beyond the cavern zone. Temp in November - 56 degrees. depth at first restriction about 80 ft. Vis 30 ft.

Mine LaMotte - the Offsets. Never been there myself. But heard its a nice dive. Not a cave system - but an abandoned mine.

Cheers,

Bjorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom