Cavern and Intro in Mexico: Wet or dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkHerm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to visit Mexico in a couple of weeks to finally start my cave diver training :D I am wondering if I should go with my dry suit or take a wet suit. I read mixed opinions on that regarding cave diving in Mexico.

What would you recommend and why?

Thank you,
cheers!

we were fine on 2 to 2 1/2 hour cave dives in mexico wet. the only thing that gives me pause to say 'wet would be fine' is that that was one dive a day. i don't know if 2 or 3 one hour dives would have felt different. for comparison, we dive dry in florida caves when we do 2 2-3 hour dives a day.

what do you usually do now? because if you dive dry 99% of the time, i'd say dry in your thinnest undies or a wicking layer and tshirt.

I did cavern and Intro wet and I survived, but I was cold by the end of the second dive. I dive Cave 1 wet and thought I was gonna die at the end of the dives and debriefs. A lot depends on your own thermal tolerance and also what the weather is; if it is hot and sunny, you can tolerate a lot more bottom time in a wetsuit, but if your dives end after dark or the weather is windy and rainy, it's not as comfortable.

I've found a dry suit with thin undergarments to be ideal, but I dive a dry suit all the time at home, so I'm very used to it.

I was discussing this was an instructor in Mexico. I came to the conclusion that I will dive dry with a thin undergarment. My husband will probably choose to dive wet but he has less problems staying warm and also has less problems with balancing his rig when wet. I would have a really hard time balancing two tanks if wet. He will have very little problem swimming up two tanks.
This is my biggest deciding factor, having a secondary method of inflation on the surface besides my wing.

Hi Mark,
Depending on your instructor, you will probably spend 3-4 hour in the water (including surface time).If you are comfortable spending this amount of time in 24*C I will go wet since it is pretty hot and humid on land. If you don't think you can stand that long in a wetsuit dive dry, but make sure you have a P-Valve. :)

I personally did my full cave training in a 7mm semi dry with a 1/2mm vested hoodie underneath and I survived very well. My boyfriend however,only when he teaches, he likes to go dry.

I really hope this helps! Enjoy your course, you are going to have an amazing time!
Welcome the cave world!

Karla

Personally I dive dry in Mexico, and only use underarmor for insulation. If I get cold, I take a hood out of my pocket and put it on.

I did my full cave down there. Was more than comfortable in my waterproof 7mm "combat" semidry..

Sent from my MB886 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

75 deg (24) is usually my cut-off here in Phoenix. That's even for shorter dives. I'm a little worried about the hot, humid topside but I figure I can always jump in for a swim to cool off.
A couple of the places I was looking at for training require a secondary method for buoyancy, either a drysuit or a double bladder BC.

Personally I dive dry in Mexico, and only use underarmor for insulation. If I get cold, I take a hood out of my pocket and put it on.
i used my old beat up 200gram santi
perfect for mexico and not much else.

i used my old beat up 200gram santi
perfect for mexico and not much else.

Ditto, dry in MX with a old tired 200gm undies is great.

For the record I did cave1 in a 7mm wetsuit + hood and I was cold. Not at the start, but by the end of dive 2 or 3's debrief my attention was compromised and I was damn cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom