Cave video/spot light combo option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.337

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions from those who have more experience than me. I'm wanting a video flood/adjustable spot light combo preferred 4000+ lumens that is going to break my wallet.

I also travel alot so will need to fly with the light

I want to stay around $ 600-900 if possible.

What do you guys recommend.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Necessary burntime?

@irycio that light doesn't come close to the requested specs.

@Mr.337 $900, 4000+ lumen, 3+ hours on bright and adjustable? I am sorry to say but it is a laughable request. I don't mean to be rude, but what you are asking for is well beyond the realm of reasonable.

3hrs at 4000 lumen means ~40w draw and at bare minimum 150wh battery pack. This is about the largest canister light battery that is able to fly legally. That battery pack alone is going to cost close to $1k for a reputable one.

None of the "combo" heads like was recommended above will pull it off because they are going to quote total lumen output. The Tecline only has 1300 lumen spot *what you'll actually use in the cave*, and 2600 lumen video, but only a 1.5-2hr burn time on full out.

The only somewhat reputable variable focus light out there that is even remotely close to 4k lumen is the Light Monkey 32vf, but they have been plagued with quality problems with the heads leaking and you are going to be spending close to $2k for that light. Halcyon makes a variable focus light, but again it is about $2k and only has about 2k lumen.

You need to change your expectations. You have 4 variables up there and need to change at least 2 of them. Cost, output, burn time, variable focus.
I would get rid of variable focus because while it is nifty, it is not something I would bother with. If you are shooting normal gopro video, the focused light is fine for that, if you are shooting real video, you need real video lights.
The next one is up to you. If you want the output and burn time, the only real option is the UWLD LD40 with the big battery, but that is a $2k light. If you shop around you can find used Dive Rite EX35's for around $900 which get you the output/burn time. They're not as nice as the LD40, but much cheaper.
The one I would give up on is the brightness though. While I love my LD40 and use big lights whenever I can, I'd question why you think you need that much light as most people have never actually used a TRUE 4000 lumen light since most manufacturers grossly exaggerate their lights output ratings *Big Blue for example is only about half of their quoted output*. For years the standard cave lights were 10w HID, ~800 lumen or about what our backup lights can do. After that the 18-21w HID's at around 1500 lumen were the BIG lights and that is more than enough. I just bought a LX20+ from Dive Rite to upgrade my LX20 that I use for a backup primary on big dives as well as primary in open water and on "normal" cave dives and it's more than bright enough for any normal cave dives.

@irycio that light doesn't come close to the requested specs.

@Mr.337 $900, 4000+ lumen, 3+ hours on bright and adjustable? I am sorry to say but it is a laughable request. I don't mean to be rude, but what you are asking for is well beyond the realm of reasonable.

3hrs at 4000 lumen means ~40w draw and at bare minimum 150wh battery pack. This is about the largest canister light battery that is able to fly legally. That battery pack alone is going to cost close to $1k for a reputable one.

None of the "combo" heads like was recommended above will pull it off because they are going to quote total lumen output. The Tecline only has 1300 lumen spot *what you'll actually use in the cave*, and 2600 lumen video, but only a 1.5-2hr burn time on full out.

The only somewhat reputable variable focus light out there that is even remotely close to 4k lumen is the Light Monkey 32vf, but they have been plagued with quality problems with the heads leaking and you are going to be spending close to $2k for that light. Halcyon makes a variable focus light, but again it is about $2k and only has about 2k lumen.

You need to change your expectations. You have 4 variables up there and need to change at least 2 of them. Cost, output, burn time, variable focus.
I would get rid of variable focus because while it is nifty, it is not something I would bother with. If you are shooting normal gopro video, the focused light is fine for that, if you are shooting real video, you need real video lights.
The next one is up to you. If you want the output and burn time, the only real option is the UWLD LD40 with the big battery, but that is a $2k light. If you shop around you can find used Dive Rite EX35's for around $900 which get you the output/burn time. They're not as nice as the LD40, but much cheaper.
The one I would give up on is the brightness though. While I love my LD40 and use big lights whenever I can, I'd question why you think you need that much light as most people have never actually used a TRUE 4000 lumen light since most manufacturers grossly exaggerate their lights output ratings *Big Blue for example is only about half of their quoted output*. For years the standard cave lights were 10w HID, ~800 lumen or about what our backup lights can do. After that the 18-21w HID's at around 1500 lumen were the BIG lights and that is more than enough. I just bought a LX20+ from Dive Rite to upgrade my LX20 that I use for a backup primary on big dives as well as primary in open water and on "normal" cave dives and it's more than bright enough for any normal cave dives.
^that

As an interim, there’s an HP50 handheld/canister combo on FB listed in your price range as well as an EXP35 on CaveDiverForum just over your range. If those appeal, I’ll put you in touch w them respectively.

^that

As an interim, there’s an HP50 handheld/canister combo on FB listed in your price range as well as an EXP35 on CaveDiverForum just over your range. If those appeal, I’ll put you in touch w them respectively.

and I can vouch for Lee who is selling the EX35, she's a good friend of mine. HP50 I think has too wide of a spread for cave diving, but that's personal preference.

I’d be willing to give the OP a break. Like you said, manufacturers ’inflate’ their numbers (i.e. lie), and inexperienced consumers then start to believe those numbers — and think they need them, because the manufacturers tell them they do. Plus, he’s not even *starting* cave training for a half year, and might not realize it’ll be a good while before he’s even able to carry enough gas for 3-5 hours in a cave, so won’t need that amount of burn time, nor that with a true 4000 lumen light he won’t be able to see a buddy’s light — and therefore can’t communicate well with them.

So, for the OP, I would just say this: you’re at least a year away from needing what you’re asking for, and even then it might not be the best way to go. My suggestion is to start much smaller and then evaluate what you *really* need after you gain some experience.

Personally, I have an HP50, that I paid about 70% of retail for. I have had to drop it to medium more than once because my buddy was using an older light (and not even *that* much older!) and I couldn’t see their spot, which makes keeping track of them much harder. That’s partially because the HP50 has a wider spot and brighter flood than average — which is why I would not recommend it to a new cave diver, to be honest. And an HP50 is not 4000 lumens, either. Of course, your requested video lights will be *much* worse in this way: brighter *and* wider...

So if it were me, I’d aim much lower. First, like @tbone1004 said, no way on God’s green Earth will you meet even half of your specs on your budget... But second, you’re trying to solve lots of problems well into the future with a single light. Better to start smaller, focus on a solid basic starting point, and then learn from experience what you actually need. Besides, you’ll always have room for a solid backup in the future when you buy your next light...

Buy once cry once only works when you have an excessive budget (and yours is barely enough for middle of the road) and you at least have *some* experience to guide you. Otherwise, you’re much better served starting simple and gaining that experience — and maybe adding to that budget a bit...

IMHO, anyway.

ETA: typing on an iPad is slow, and there’s two replies above mine now! I agree with both of them: a good quality used light is an excellent way to get your feet wet. And I would not recommend an HP50 for the same reason: I think it’s too wide. The EX35 did not exist when I bought mine. :-(. But of course, it’s not nearly as wide as a video light... and even then we think it’s too wide. There’s a lot of details, and a lot of devils in them. :)

Ok so i should have started by explaining my reasons first i guess.

So i currently dive with a Tovatec 1000LM torch as a primary while it works good for open water it is not a video light by any means. Currently i use some CHEAPO amazon flood lights on a gopro tray. It works ok for close up OW stuff but no where remotely close to worthy of filming in the caverns/caves (yes i know a gopro still isn't a quality film camera but that's beyond my budget and realm of what i want to achieve currently)

I'm also starting Sidemount this month and want to get 40-50 dives in sidemount to be comfortable with my gearing before starting the cave training. This is why i'm saying up to half year or more before i start. The wife and me have done 13 cavern dives in Playa Del Carmen with a guide so of course i want to go cave now. My cavern guide and the person i will be taking the cave course with had a 6000lm video light and a 2000lm spot.

So i think maybe the best choice for me would be find a 4000lm flood and keep using my tovatec for a spotlight. i was just hoping there was a choice that works for both.

Also i fully understand it will be way down the line before i will be using 3-5hrs of air my reasoning for wanting a light with that long of life is just redundancy.

Thanks for not roasting me to hard as this is chapter in the adventure for me.

Ok so i should have started by explaining my reasons first i guess.

My cavern guide and the person i will be taking the cave course with had a 6000lm video light and a 2000lm spot.

So i think maybe the best choice for me would be find a 4000lm flood and keep using my tovatec for a spotlight. i was just hoping there was a choice that works for both.
Nice work on transparency.

What light was the guide using? If it was Big Blue, those 6000 lumen lights are at most 3000 lumens ish, even at the start of use.

Unfort one light that does both isn't really a thing. I will say that these seeming POS, also lumen overrated lights https://www.amazon.com/Diving-Flash...=dive+video+light+18000&qid=1621005624&sr=8-7 have impressed me. I wouldn't expect a huge life expectancy or burn time, but for ~$100 all in with batteries, if you get 20 dives out of it it's a cheap investment. You can get them off AliExpress for cheaper but then you lose the Amazon perks. Have seen one suck in moisture at 90 meters though.

I use a 32W VF and it's not a good video light. The UWLD LD4000 with a diffuser does okay, but still not nearly as nice as a proper video light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom