Cave Instructor Recommendations in Quintana Roo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kate F

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any recommendations out there for cave instructors in Tulum area? I'm hoping to find a transplant from US or England.... only because I often have difficulty catching the entire conversation when there's a Hispanic accent. I'm sure they probably can't understand me either with my southern drawl! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I was about to chime in but all the best cave instructors I know are either European or Canadian and you might have trouble with their accents.

You might be more comfortable in Florida

i cannot tell if the post above was sarcasm or not. haha

my suggestion is to do some dives with any instructors you are considering training with. at least meet them in person for a detailed conversation. every instructor has his / her own style. sometimes people are rubbed the wrong way by how they approach teaching. some are very strict and almost military like while others try to keep the mood light and fun. a student can thrive or fail at times depending on how they mesh with their instructor.

some of the names i would have no problem recommending are patrick at protec, frank at blue life, natalie at under the jungle, steve bogarts. i would add german yanez but he is spanish. forgive me if any names were spelled incorrectly. steve martin also teaches there but i believe he is only avail there in winter.

good luck !!

Under The Jungle, ProTec, Zero Gravity are good people to deal with and solid instructors. Florida has great options too. Some folks broaden their horizons by taking intro in Florida and full cave in Mexico, or vice versa.

i cannot tell if the post above was sarcasm or not. haha

my suggestion is to do some dives with any instructors you are considering training with. at least meet them in person for a detailed conversation. every instructor has his / her own style. sometimes people are rubbed the wrong way by how they approach teaching. some are very strict and almost military like while others try to keep the mood light and fun. a student can thrive or fail at times depending on how they mesh with their instructor.

some of the names i would have no problem recommending are patrick at protec, frank at blue life, natalie at under the jungle, steve bogarts. i would add german yanez but he is spanish. forgive me if any names were spelled incorrectly. steve martin also teaches there but i believe he is only avail there in winter.

good luck !![/QUOTE
German is on cozumel.

I have used Kim, Jaime, Skanda, and Tamara at ProTec Tulum for guided dives and tweaking equipment. Any of them would be excellent. I am not sure of Tamara's teaching level - either cavern or intro. As noted above, there are a number of other good instructors too.

If you plan to dive much in Florida, time with an instructor there would be helpful as noted above.

Another vote for Natalie... Every diver I know that dive caves is a fan of Under The Jungle.

Kelvin Davidson from Third Dimension Diving.

Kim or Jaime from Protech Tulum.

Back
Top Bottom