Cave diving - in Manitoulin Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
While you google that, let me ask, because the island is limestone, and the fact that it was under a glacier, and now is high and dry, could it have any cave formations? Does it have any that anyone has ever know of? (no, I am not stupid enough to try to find them without proper training, skill and gear.)

Reactions: vam
Sure, there's at least one dry cave on the island.

There are a few diveable caves in Ontario. Secondhand I've heard they are tight, silty and often suitable for sidemount. No, I don't know exactly where they're located.

About 130 miles southeast of Manitoulin Island, across the Lake on the US side is Port Austin. Port Austin is enveloped in one of the largest freshwater reefs in the world. There are a series of caves along the system that are silty, tight, and lead to nowhere. Plus they are exposed to the lake. Isle Royale in Lake Superior is rumored to have intricate cave systems, but due to how remote the location is they have not been confirmed.

Leopard Frog Cave:

When I was up there last summer (2016) I asked if anyone was still diving the caves there as I had not heard of anyone going there since Terry and Kim.... I was told that the entrance had been now sealed off by Parks Canada and there was no longer access to the system. Stoo, who posts here might have more up to date information.
Cheers,
Norman H.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom