Cave diving fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LPA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm slowly moving into cave diving and building out my SM equipment, and thinking of upgrading fins. Currently have Hotshots: great for travelling, but probably not powerful/durable enough for cave diving.
I was gonna go for Apeks RK3's, but after some reading am considering a more 'modern' fin, namely the SP Seawing Nova 2. Don't have the strongest legs and these might be more comfortable, efficient and lighter. Most of my diving is tropical/wetsuit so don't need heavy fins. Any thoughts why this might be a good or bad idea before I grab a pair?

I almost always used jet fins before I switched to CCR full time. They were just too heavy for a configuration that’s already butt heavy.

I bought a set of diverite XTs, and they are nice and light, but stiff enough to do what I like with them.

I'm not doubting that Jet fins, Hollis F1, Apeks RK3 etc. are all great and proven cave diving fins. But in the end they're all based on a design from the 60s. DiveRite XT is definitely more modern, but is there a reason that the most modern fin designs, e.g. a Scubapro Seawing Nova is not commonly used in cave diving, or is this just a question of time...?

Seawing novas have a place - I'm sure they are comfortable on open-water dives if you don't want heavy fins. The articulation means they feel 'soft' for flutter kicking, which can be nice. But they also lack the precision needed for cave diving, are really poor for frog kicking and helicopter turns, not to mention back finning. I've not seen them used in caves but I am sure they would lead to more than one silt-out, and probably damage to the cave. Also they look great for entangling in line.
By all means get them if you want to use them on tropical reef dives but please keep them out of caves. For the safety and enjoyment of you and those around you.

Apeks RK3 are perfect for cave diving and light enough for traveling it involves. These are the most used fins among cave divers I know. I switched to RK3’s from Hollis F1 and it was an upgrade for someone with not the strongest legs. There is also a HD variety to consider. I’ve heard that SP Seawings are not great for the frog kick, but frog kick is the basic propulsion method in cave diving.

Seawing novas have a place - I'm sure they are comfortable on open-water dives if you don't want heavy fins. The articulation means they feel 'soft' for flutter kicking, which can be nice. But they also lack the precision needed for cave diving, are really poor for frog kicking and helicopter turns, not to mention back finning. I've not seen them used in caves but I am sure they would lead to more than one silt-out, and probably damage to the cave. Also they look great for entangling in line.
They claim to have improved on maneuverability, frog kicking and helicopter turns with the 2nd version, but until I hear any confirmation of that I remain skeptical. Also agreed on the snagging hazard, those hinges make me nervous. Probably will go with the DiveRite XT's or RK3's then. Thanks everyone!

I'm not doubting that Jet fins, Hollis F1, Apeks RK3 etc. are all great and proven cave diving fins. But in the end they're all based on a design from the 60s. DiveRite XT is definitely more modern, but is there a reason that the most modern fin designs, e.g. a Scubapro Seawing Nova is not commonly used in cave diving, or is this just a question of time...?
I've been diving XTs for years and love them. They are derived from the Apollo Prestige fins from the 90s. When Apollo went to split fins, Dive Rite picked up the molds. Dive Rite first went with a different material but returned to the original monoprene, stainless steel spring straps and, more recently, stainless steel buckles make up their current model.

They are derived from the Apollo Prestige fins from the 90s. When Apollo went to split fins, Dive Rite picked up the molds.

I learn something new every day...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom