Cave Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okiecaver

Contributor
Reaction score
Went cave diving

did support.

250 ft of line in virgin cave was laid.

Silt sucks. Used OMS wings and my crushed neo drysuit.

Didn't die.

Once cave length is determined, survey stages will be set up so I can do an inital survey of the cavern zone while team leaders photograph.

Dive safe
Brock

Brock, I hope I'm going to get more detail than that!. You said you were goint to Roubidoux?

But this is a new find and until ownership is informed, more usable data is compiled, and a basic survey is done, I really can't go into much detail about the site.

Roubidoux is still blowing and going. 6 inches of rain in the past week and more forcast.

Also, it was a good first cave dive for the season. low flow but heavy, HEAVY silt that challenged my skills. The 2 weeks spent tuning up gear were well spent.

No, it's not like riding a bicycle, but it's amazing how much of your training, and how fast, comes back when you need it. I did find out that:

Helicopter turns are a good thing
In heavy silt stay on the line
My rig is neutral to 8 ft without stages.
riding in a 14 ft Boston Whaler with 5 people and 4 sets of cave dive gear and a bum motor is a different experience.
Did I mention, in heavy silt stay on the line?

I remembered alot of Chris Werners suggestions, plus some advice from other "old hands" The result was 2 days of not terribly deep, but real great diving.

Can't wait to go back, but I have 2 weekends of Mommy-do's to get through first.

Dive safe
Brock

Oh, the rental truck from Budget was great! it ended up having the "edge" option package. CD player and premium sound system. all for 75 bucks for the weekend.

One of these days I need to get my boat in shape so I can use it to find caves. How was vis? Was the cave big? small? deep?

the cave silts up pretty quickly and does not clear out very fast at all. One or two short dives and you are done for the day.

fortunatly it's shallow enough that one set of doubles will pretty much last all day before hitting thirds on a cave fill.

Cavern area is pretty big, with a restriction about 200 ft back.

Now, this cave is not my discovery, so I have to stop here with descriptions. Once an initial survey and report are done and sent to the right authorities, then I can say more.

How's life on your end?

Dive safe
Brock

I don't expect you to give away the cave. I wouldn't either. LOL

I'm getting grumpy cause I haven't been in a cave since last month!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom