Cave Cut?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver42

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I have one decsion left: Cave cut or not?

DUI CLX 450 (custom)... what would you chose?

The LDS manager says it's too restrictive.

The guy at Extreme Exposure says if it were, would JJ and GI3 have them? Also, they're restrictive, but you don't need to be able to do hurdles and touch the middle of your back, just your valves and fins.

The DUI rep says they're more restrictive, but not too restrictive.

What do you guys think?

I'm making a decision tomorrow! (I think :wink:

I tried on a DUI TLS350 last night. I lost 50 pounds and the suit I have now is waaay too big. A suit that is too large is not something you want.

I tried on a medium, which was one size smaller than the chart said I needed, and it fit well exept the thighs were a little snug. Several of the local divers here have bought the suits one size down and it seems to be working for most of them. Just a thought.

I would try on what ever you want first.

Good luck on the purchase.

Chad

It's a custom thing, so I can't try it on. The Cave cut is a really close cut... I'm wondering if it's too close.

Are you going to be using a scooter? That's the only time that having a tighter fitting suit will make any noticeable difference, as drag increases exponentially with speed.
Don't forget to leave enough room for extra undies just in case you want to do some Antarctic diving.
:wink:

...on a 450 is different than on a 350, no? The 450 is already losing some motion due to the cordura and the cave cut might exacerbate that. Not sure, but I would wager that nobody in the WKPP dives a 450...GI3 is specific about 350s.

Not to mention - if the cave cut doesn't fit, you are on the hook for the mods. If the custom doesn't fit, John will handle sending it back for you to get it done right. Up to you ultimately, but we felt the cons outweighed the pros when we ordered...so we skipped it.

You bring up a good point about losing range of motion with the 450 that I hadn't considered. Yes, they're real specific about the 350.

The guy at EE (super helpful) said they just did a gib wreck dive in 350s. My thought was that I wanted the extra abrasion protection because, well, I'm not perfect.

This morning I decided not to do the cave because the close fit just wasn't that important to me - I'm already getting the (semi-) custom.

You're point about 450 vs. 350 range of motion makes it that much more clear.

thanks

diver42 once bubbled...
You bring up a good point about losing range of motion with the 450 that I hadn't considered. Yes, they're real specific about the 350.

The guy at EE (super helpful) said they just did a gib wreck dive in 350s. My thought was that I wanted the extra abrasion protection because, well, I'm not perfect.

This morning I decided not to do the cave because the close fit just wasn't that important to me - I'm already getting the (semi-) custom.

You're point about 450 vs. 350 range of motion makes it that much more clear.

thanks
You're welcome, Rich. I know what you are going through...it is an AGONIZING decision. When you are laying that much cash down there are so many reservations and questions running through your mind. I think the drysuit purchase was more like buying a car than it was like buying other dive gear. I don't even think a scooter purchase would be that hard, but there are so many options and so much potential for things to go badly that it just plain stinks.

Although, once you get the suit you will be really pleased you did it. I am always game for doing a dive over the winter if you want to log some time in your suit..

I have been diving a TLS 350 custom for 7 years. I dive nearly every weekend, everything from scootering deep cave to deep wrecks. My dive buddy has a 450 - it is much more restrictive material. As for the cut, when I got mine there was no such thing as "cave cut", custom or off the rack were the only options. My suit fits very snug, however, but it is perfect with 400G thinsulate. I don't think you will go wrong with either cut.

Thanks to everyone for your advice (on this thread and others).

My final decision was:

TLS 350, Custom (no cave cut), all black.

looking forward to it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom