Cave country - full rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alekseolsen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I recently got my SSI "cave diving" card (done in doubles if that matters).

If this COVID ever ends, I'd be in Florida every now and then for work - and obviously I'd like to get some dives done in "cave country". For work trips I'm very limited on luggage, as I carry two suitcases full of tools, thus my question is: how would it be to approach a dive-shop and basically rent everything? (I'd bring DC, possibly regs if DIN connection makes any sense) Guess I'd prefer an instructor/guide, as I don't know any divers "over there" :)

I also understand there should be plenty of divable caves at this level? (Penetration to 1/4th, 1 navigational decision, max 40 meters)

Obviously nothing urgent, but I'd like to start dreaming:p

I'd bring computer and drysuit/undergarments. Everything else is going to be easy ish to rent, but exposure protection is going to be complicated.

All tanks in cave country are DIN, so no worries there if you do bring your own regs.

Bring regs. Several shops are not currently renting regs due to covid

Bring regs. Several shops are not currently renting regs due to covid
Gross! You'd think they would have sanitized rental regs, covid or not.

Sure does make me glad I own :wink:.

Gross! You'd think they would have sanitized rental regs, covid or not.

Sure does make me glad I own :wink:.

I've got no clue what they do with rental regs after use. I'd hope they're cleaned, but can you really sanitize effectively, which is what I think the issue is. It's a big liability with Covid around and not being able to fully guarantee sterilization means the shop could be open to liability. My wife had a deco reg go down a couple of weeks ago and didn't have a backup. She went to a shop to borrow one and they said they weren't renting or loaning currently. It seems other shops are following suit

Thanks, but unlikely I'll be over until the world is vaccinated :)

Given that we can't seem to count the number of doses that we will need here in the states, it may be a long wait.

Given that we can't seem to count the number of doses that we will need here in the states, it may be a long wait.

If theres any comfort in it, its not only the states that does weird ****, the government over here have been keeping 100K vaccines in some "emergency backup"to make sure they have the 2nd dose available for all vaccinated - which kind of made sense, except for the fact that only a few thousand people have received the first dose

the government over here have been keeping 100K vaccines in some "emergency backup"to make sure they have the 2nd dose available for all vaccinated
The second dose is more of a booster and not the same as the first.

The second dose is more of a booster and not the same as the first.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding you, but the second injection is the same vaccine as the first shot. The vaccine is given twice to increase it's effectiveness. Often there are more side effects to the second injection since you're immune system has already dealt with it once and can now mount a better immune response. The term "booster" has just become a colloquialism in the US and is used for any vaccine basically. Initially the term booster came from the vaccines given later in a series since it's to "booster" the immune response, but he vaccine itself does not change whether it's your first or second.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom