Caution when diving a DAAM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kingairpilot

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Took my 1957 AquaMaster to the local scuba park for an end-of-summer dive with the family. I THOUGHT it'd be relaxing to throw a steel 72 in the old Healthways tank pack, put the DAAM on it and jump in the water. Freedom of movement, a light setup, becomming the manfish the JYC waxed poetic about...yeah, right.

Got there by 8:30 and set up. By 9:15 I had already explained that it WAS the reg that I intended to dive, NO, I don't have a SPG, NO, I don't have a BC (well, I did have a horse collar...but...). This went on just about every time a group walked by. Young instructors where the worst. Got a few "That is what I learned on...shortly after the war" With one guy, I wondered if it was the Civil war, or the Mexican Revolution. Finally, I had ENOUGH (and this was my mistake)

For every inquiry after this point, I'd respond..."wanna try it out?" The responses ranged from OMG, no...to, "I've never had any training on one and am not really comfortable" (perfectally acceptable response)...to, "Yes, Please".

I spent most of my damn day letting folks try out my reg. :rofl3: Think I might have gotten a few converts...and one junior instructor looked like he was measuring me for a casket...but that's a nother story. Anyway, be careful when offering things like that...you don't know who all is going to come out of the woodwork to take you up on it. All in all, a good day at the scuba park.

ka

Last edited:
I know the scenario all too well! People are fascinated by the old DH regs and many of the divers I've encountered can't wait to try it out. I had one today ask why they are no longer made. He pointed out a number of advantages he could see to the DH design over the SH regs of today.

:rofl3:

And now you know the reason I always carry at least 2 or 3 DH regs with me....at least if I am going to let them try it, I want one myself.

On a more serious note, when I do let others try a DH reg, I have at least one of us diving a Phoenix- usually me, just in case of trouble I have a backup that is familiar to the other diver(octo on the Phoenix) close at hand. It's never been an issue but still a good safety precaution.

Back
Top Bottom