Caution when buying used tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just a word of caution to anyone thinking of buying used tanks. I spent some time on looking over an internet auction site and noticed that there were tanks listed there that are to be rejected for refilling. In some cases it wasn't clear whether or not the tank could be refilled as the information was incomplete. If you are looking for used tanks, make sure the owner provides you with all the tank markings and that those markings indicate an acceptable tank. If you are unsure, there are several certified or otherwise competent cylinder inspectors that are scubaboard members who can provide an answer.

Buying used equipment can save money, but only if you are making an informed purchase. Buyer beware!! as the saying goes.

I think it's unwise to buy any tank, particularly aluminum, if the seller doesn't offer a refund if it fails the first vis or hydro (if it's out of hydro, or about to be out of hydro).

edit: Unless, of course, it is offered "as is" for a very low price.

I have seen many strange things on a popular internet auction site. Fire extinguishers offered as SCUBA tanks. SCBA offered as SCUBA tanks etc. Most online sellers proffer that they are "selling for a friend and know nothing about SCUBA tanks". Bull! Even if you contact them and inform them they are selling a tank not certified for use as a SCUBA tank, they don't change a thing.

Be wary of buying a tank at online auction.

Just my $0.02

pasley:
Even if you contact them and inform them they are selling a tank not certified for use as a SCUBA tank, they don't change a thing.
Would that not be considered fraud once they were informed :06:

Personally, I have restrict purchasing used equipment to this site or TheDecoStop.com unless I am buying it face to face.

Buying off an auction site is very dangerous IMHO. There is no way to know if the seller is actually a diver, which by looking at the way some of the stuff is listed there, most are not.

This is also why I have so much heart burn about people advertising auctions on this site. Being associated with the auction site gives us a bad name.

Just my .02 worth.

Quarrior:
Personally, I have restrict purchasing used equipment to this site or TheDecoStop.com unless I am buying it face to face.

Buying off an auction site is very dangerous IMHO. There is no way to know if the seller is actually a diver, which by looking at the way some of the stuff is listed there, most are not.

This is also why I have so much heart burn about people advertising auctions on this site. Being associated with the auction site gives us a bad name.

Just my .02 worth.
I completely disagree.

Purchasing gear through auction requires an informed consumer to make smart choices, but I'd rather buy a piece of gear off eBay than through here.

I completely agree with you Quarrior...

Jason

When I decided to upgrade all my dacor equipment when they refused to honor their lifetime service warranty I purchased all my current dive equipment off of ebay - Poseidon jetstream, seaquest pro qd BCD, Oceanic pro plus computer etc. etc. etc. I also sold my 2 Aluminum 92 cu. ft. tanks, and 4 Aluminum 80's and purchased (off ebay) 5 steel 80's, and 2 72's. Even turned out one of the so called 80's turned out to be a Sherwood 86 and Hydroed to the + gives me a 95 cu ft tank that is exactly the same size as an older 80. Love that ebay. But its been said many times before,
let the buyer beware. I always check the feedback ratings, never buy from a zero feedback rated seller and do my homework.
montyb -- just my 02 cents.

The keys to using ebay (IMHO):
1) Do your homework. KNOW the product before bidding. Demand pictures is possible.
2) Look at feedback. Is this person getting neutral and negatives? If so, be very cautious. If they have a very small amount of feedback, be even more cautious.
3) Do not get caught up in the excitement of the auction. Decide from step #1 what the value of the equipment is. Assume up front that you will need a full rebuild/service. Figure out what buying one from a place like scubatoys(www.scubatoys.com) or discount divers(http://www.discountdivers.com) in similar condition will cost. Subtract the amount of the rebuild, and subtract some more for a fudge factor(oops, didn't mention that torn 2nd stage diaphram). And do not overbid.
4) Watch out for outrageous shipping charges. If possible, get a full shipping quote prior to bidding.

I've had some good luck with ebay by following these rules. YMMV.

My hydro guy has some "entertaining" stories about used tanks people bring in; there was a batch of steel (SCBA) that had failed hydro & had been drilled; some [insert favorite expletive] had welded the holes shut & resold the things...
I trade a fair amount on ebay, if you cover your butt by doing the recommended things already mentioned you should be fine. Expect to get a bad apple in the batch every now & then but overall, there are still deals to be had.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom