Caution if you book with Costal Scuba Myrtle Beach, SC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccredifo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving 15+ years and this is my first "avoid this dive shop" post. I booked two days of diving with Coastal Scuba on Sept. 5 and 6th.

Here are my issues with Coastal Scuba.

1. Limited to 30 minutes per dive. Despite the fact I had a dive computer and the site was in 50 feet of water. 30 min dive/30 min surface/30 min dive. No exceptions. I was told by Capt. Terry "we've got a fishin charter this afternoon so there's no time". I also confirmed with the dive shop. This is the policy, no exceptions.

I was laughing when we pulled into the dock at 11:28am.... The fishing charter didn't leave until 1:30pm. Keep in mind my profile was 47 min / 15 min / 42 min.

2. No rinse bucket for mask.
3. No rinse bucket for camera.
4. No fresh water at all.
5. Little River Fishing Charter. LRFC uses a 90 foot boat for larger parties. Imagine a 6 - 10 foot giant stride entry off the side of the boat. Also, picture 35 divers sharing a single ladder!
6. Tanks and weights are extra. Call me crazy but I absolutely hate it when you book a 2 tank dive then have to pay another $13 for tanks and weights. Basically, I paid $96 for a water taxi. Oh wait, I did get a bottle of water and two orange slices.

If you like 30 minute dives and don't require such amenities as fresh water and rinse buckets then Coastal Scuba might be for you.

As for me, I'll find another shop on my next trip to Myrtle Beach.

Thx,
Chris

Next time go a little further North to Wilmington or Morehead City. Diving tends to be better.
But tanks & weights are still extra, don't know the exact $$$ as I use my own.
I have never been given a run time by any shop up there, just if you run a little longer profile or plan an extended safety stop:eyebrow: be sure to be 1 of the 1st off the boat.
Try Aquatic Safaris, North Carolina Wreck Diving in Wilmington or
tortuga dive charters in Morehead City.

ccredifo

next time drive south to murriels inlet and dive with scuba express

I can't speak for most of the issues in your post as I'm not that familiar with the charter policies of Coastal. However, there are some ops in the Carolinas that offer full day offshore or half day inshore. Both will offer two dives, the difference is the half day charter is usually time limited if you opt to make two separate dives whereas the full day charter restrains you to the NDL limits for the site (you also generally get a 1 1/2 hour SI on the full day charter). From what you're describing, it sounds like you may have signed up for a half day charter. If this was sold to you as a full day charter or you thought you were getting a full day charter, then something went wrong.

Aside from that, you are going to find that dive ops in the Carolinas (no matter what area you dive out of) are little more than water taxis. They will get you to the dive site (weather permitting) and provide water but little to nothing else. If you got orange slices, then that was a nice touch that you won't always find. Any equipment you may need (such as tanks or weights) will be an extra rental fee.

I can't speak for most of the issues in your post as I'm not that familiar with the charter policies of Coastal. However, there are some ops in the Carolinas that offer full day offshore or half day inshore. Both will offer two dives, the difference is the half day charter is usually time limited if you opt to make two separate dives whereas the full day charter restrains you to the NDL limits for the site (you also generally get a 1 1/2 hour SI on the full day charter). From what you're describing, it sounds like you may have signed up for a half day charter. If this was sold to you as a full day charter or you thought you were getting a full day charter, then something went wrong.

Aside from that, you are going to find that dive ops in the Carolinas (no matter what area you dive out of) are little more than water taxis. They will get you to the dive site (weather permitting) and provide water but little to nothing else. If you got orange slices, then that was a nice touch that you won't always find. Any equipment you may need (such as tanks or weights) will be an extra rental fee.[/QUOT
Next time go with Scuba Express, they do not limit the length of your dive, or your dive profile. They also provide snacks, and the captain and DMs are great!!!

I haven't been out with Aquaticsafaris yet. I visited their store in Wilmington NC this past summer and they impressed me as a top notch operation. I was positively impressed by the pleasant atmosphere, friendly, informative, and helpful staff. They had a nice array of gear for sale and the store seemed to be thriving. They were knowledgeable and friendly in regards to answering questions about particular dive sites. I was a "model" builder at one time in my life so I was particularly impressed with the large detailed model of their dive boat on display. I would not hesitate to use this operation.

I have used Express Scuba as of late and as far back as 1998. They have grown and improved significantly since then. Their boat was their weak link, now days their boat is kick ass.

Coastal Scuba is not the dive shop they were in the past. This is true and obvious to some. I would hesitate to write them off just yet. They do have some problems, but you may see them come back very strong as time passes. We all go through difficult times. It is very possible that Coastal will rectify with significant quality.

Coastal needs to get their act together… Someone should tell them. I did some dives with them this year. Short dives, short surface interval and they end up on the Sherman (close inshore, poor vis, no relief) even if you booked the Hebe, (deep, big, clearer water), if the waves are more than 2 feet.
The business with the short dives & short surface intervals is really taken to an extreme. The last trip we were scheduled to go to the Hebe but naturally ended up on the Sherman because it was overcast and a little choppy. We were down maybe 45 min, came up with 1500 PSI and most people were about ready to resplash. On nitrox 36 and only 70 feet we didn’t need much surface interval and were back in as soon as the computer said it was ok (not long.) We were down maybe 45 minutes and on the hang bar at 48. SPLASH! Down goes the DM to let go the hook! So I look up and back behind the boat and I see the floating line being pulled in! A few good solid kicks and I get to it before the end of it disappears! At least at that point they didn’t try to pull it out of my hands…. (I wasn’t going to let go, either, at least until my wife was on the surface with me!) And please, no excuses about fishing charters as the boat had been scheduled for full day and (supposedly) didn’t shorten trip until 20 minutes out at sea.
I won’t even make a big deal out of not being able to find the BP25 (on another day) even though our own hand held GPS units indicated they were circling around over and over about 500 yards from the actual spot. So we got to see a subway car.
Could be a great outfit; good convenient location, nice dive boat, but what a way to lose business.

Aside from that, you are going to find that dive ops in the Carolinas (no matter what area you dive out of) are little more than water taxis. They will get you to the dive site (weather permitting) and provide water but little to nothing else. If you got orange slices, then that was a nice touch that you won't always find. Any equipment you may need (such as tanks or weights) will be an extra rental fee.[/QUOT
Next time go with Scuba Express, they do not limit the length of your dive, or your dive profile. They also provide snacks, and the captain and DMs are great!!!

I like Scuba Express. The only gripe I have with them is the tank storage system they have set up on their boat...they need to remove the pvc and add bungees to the rails.

You do agree that the charter providing snacks is the exception rather than the rule in the Carolinas, though?

Back
Top Bottom