Catalina Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

everlasting

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here are a couple of my favorite shots from my Catalina trip.

This is my first attempt at UW photography. My photos aren't even close to being as good as a lot of the people here, but hopefully I can work up to that.

Critiques are welcome - be as harsh as you want.

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

All of these were taken with a Canon A720IS, and Canon housing. No external strobe.

Very Nice! I really like the Garibaldi! I have the same camera and housing and will be using mine for the first time in Bonaire in 3 weeks. I use Photoshop CS2 so when I get home I can correct for no strobe and fix certain things in my pics. I did 2 of yours, hope you don't mind.

fish.jpg

fish2.jpg

Good pics..........what settings did you use?? maybe some of us here can help you out from afar......one thing you will have to invest in(like any UW photographer) is a de-backscattering program---that is worth it's weight in gold(almost...lol)......

Those are very nice everlasting! I particularly like the garibaldi, and you set the school record for number of blue-banded gobies in a single frame :). Excellent. ++Ken++

I didn't even realize there were programs that could remove backscatter. A quick google search shows me that I could do it on photoshop. Are there any tutorials that you would recommend? Or is there another program altogether that you prefer?

sasscuba -
I don't mind at all! Thanks! The shots look better after you play around with them a bit. Can I ask exactly what you did?

I'm in the "don't dive as much as I'd like" and "don't know what an F-stop is" category. :D

I didn't want to spend the money for photoshop, so downloaded Paint.net. Seems to be pretty good (for someone who isn't really into photography).

I like your shot of the urchins and gobys- very nice detail!

I think you got some cool shots. I like the kelp forest pic; it is a perfect desktop background image.

My suggestion is to experiment with cropping and composition techniques.

Nice photos i was there at the beging of feb and had posted photos. have a look if you want. Your photos turned out better then mine when i first started out :) Usualy when taking photos i sure the rule of thirds dividing the photo in to a tick-tac-toe board and trying to get the subject where the lines intersect. Your garibaldi shot turned out better then any of mine so far i never have luck with them. Keep shooting

I didn't even realize there were programs that could remove backscatter. A quick google search shows me that I could do it on photoshop. Are there any tutorials that you would recommend? Or is there another program altogether that you prefer?

sasscuba -
I don't mind at all! Thanks! The shots look better after you play around with them a bit. Can I ask exactly what you did?

I use the Spot Healing Brush Tool on PS Element 5.0(cost ??about $70)....works great......

nice shot of the blue-banded Gobi's i was just there at the end of las month the water was fairly dirty but got some decent shot you can check them out here. The best tool for getting rid of back scatter is ether the stamp tool or the healing brush and a couple of beers. a good book to get is the visual quick start guide to photoshop. Its basically a manual on how to use photoshop with step by step directions for just about every thing you can think about.

Back
Top Bottom