Catalina Island Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DustyMetal01

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a question. In 1977, they filmed the opening scene of Jaws 2 in the kelp forest of Catilina Island. Here two divers find the wreck of the Orca boat from the first movie, before they are eaten by the shark. I read long ago that a guy found the wreck while collecting tropical fish just off Long Point in about 40ft or 60ft of water if I recall? The wreck isn't on any map that I have seen, which leads me to believe it's either long gone or it was removed (although I don't see why). So, my question is has anybody been down to the wreck? Is it still there or was it removed? Has anyone ever taken any pictures? I'd love to visit the wreck if it is still there.

Thank y'all in advance for your help!!

The scenes with the Garibaldi and kelp were filmed in Baja Mexico.
I've heard that before, I just remember that guy saying that about Catilina Island because of the boyscout camp there

No, the boat was recovered after the movie. As I recall it was immediately scrapped after filming was done. The first picture is of the Orca (3) being readied for filming and the second picture is them pulling it up after filming. The Orca is my favorite movie boat.

472aeb451c75dcb299df26554c335965--movies-at-destin-florida.jpg

589579-jawsbellerhazenfamily3.jpg

No, the boat was recovered after the movie. As I recall it was immediately scrapped after filming was done. The first picture is of the Orca (3) being readied for filming and the second picture is them pulling it up after filming. The Orca is my favorite movie boat.

View attachment 708299
View attachment 708301
I'm sorry, but you're half right. The last picture, is of the sinkable ORCA II. You can even see the ORCA I's exhaust muffler behind the people on the barge on left. As far as the ORCA III, it was never recovered.

That would be an interesting dive, if you can find it.
The Orca would be worth money today if it still existed.

I'm sorry, but you're half right. The last picture, is of the sinkable ORCA II. You can even see the ORCA I's exhaust muffler behind the people on the barge on left. As far as the ORCA III, it was never recovered.
I got my information from a reddit thread with one of the commenter's claiming to have been involved in the production.

No one from any of the Jaws movie crews would still be working in the industry. Many of them are likely dead by now, but if you can communicate with one of the Jaws crew, I am sure they would have interesting behind the scenes stories to relate. The pictures above of the Orca were great, thanks for posting that.

OK, made some progress. I too enjoyed the first two Jaws movies, more so the first one.

The DP and the A Camera Operator Michael Chapman from Jaws 1 have both passed away. However, the A Camera 1st. Assistant, who was the youngest is still alive and can field any questions that you may have about the movie.
He is now living in Virginia.

No one from any of the Jaws movie crews would still be working in the industry. Many of them are likely dead by now, but if you can communicate with one of the Jaws crew, I am sure they would have interesting behind the scenes stories to relate. The pictures above of the Orca were great, thanks for posting that.
The impression I got was that he's long been retired and worked at the props department. He mentioned several other sets he was involved with. He said that the Orca 3 wreck segment was set, filmed, and "wrapped up" in three days. To me it sounds like they removed it after filming. I will post the thread when I find it again and you can draw your own conclusions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom