Cat Pplau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We just returned from a week on the liveaboard Cat Pplau and had a wonderful time. We've done many live aboard trips but I'm not sure I can recall a better live aboard crew ever. Captain Gavin really listend to the crew and with his dive leader Michelles assistance they formed a plan that all on board could be happy with. We are more about diving than other things so they got us to all the sites they could. They are big on safety but are not heavy handed about it.

We had one day of bad weather as a tropical storm rolled through so on one day we only managed to get two dives in but on other days we got as many as five dives.

Kelly was the cook and they borrowed her from the Aqua Cat for the week. She's a young lady from Peru and what an amazing cook and hard worker. She endeared herself to the women on the boat to such an extent that they all went shopping for her when we returned to Nassau. Mo was the engineer on board but he's leaving the boat this week to return to Florida to take some classes to get his 200 ton license. He's a native of Columbia.

The boat itself is a slow moving catameran as it's underpowered and heavy but boy is it stable in heavy seas. We averaged about 5 knots when underway with bursts up to 7 depending on the ocean. It takes up to 12 guests in 6 small staterooms each with it's own sink. There are two heads on board and two indoor showers and one outdoor shower. That huge deck forward was a great place to lay in the sun and look for cays to appear on the horizon.

The diving in the Exumas was wonderful and we saw plenty of gorgeous coral and tons of sea life. We got off on one cay and hand fed some iquanas. Ugly lizards but fun to watch as they competed for our grapes.

We will return. The price was about half the cost of the Aqua Cat or an agressor boat but that's to be expected as it isn't as luxiours but we've stayed on live aboard where it's more like camping, this certainly wasn't that.

We'll return.

I did the Cat Ppalu last Feb and am planning on another trip on it next winter. Sounds like they've changed crews since I sailed her, as Scott and his wife Christine were the Capt & Dive Master, Greg was the cook and John the engineer. We did 20 dives on our trip, they were amazingly receptive to our needs and made the trip the best spent money on a dive trip I've ever spent. Can't wait to do it again next year.
Here's a pic of the crew I made of my trip last year.
C-Dawg

dherbman:
Good to have you back Al. Hope you got some great pictures. Roatan awaits.
Yep we'll have a blast Dave. Oh and it isn't good to be back, believe it or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom